Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will an iPad Pro 11 inch 2nd generation with wifi and LTE work the same as a cellular model like a 3rd generation iPad Pro?

Hello everyone, hope someone can answer my question. I'm contemplating on purchasing an iPad Pro 2nd generation and it list as "Wifi & LTE". Is this the same as a 3rd generation iPad Pro wifi & Cellular? Does LTE work the same as a Cellular model or is this completely different thing?

I thank you in advance.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 11:25 AM

Stephogami wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Base on your reply, this means that I can make calls as well (like a phone) or just able to access wifi in areas where there is no Hotspot/wifi?

Neither. The iPad on its own cannot make cellular calls. It needs a paired iPhone for that.

Cellular iPads can use the cellular data connection for internet access. This is not Wi-Fi. Its cellular data access like a smart phone uses for internet access.

You can use said internet access to make internet based calls such as FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc... but you cannot place cellular voice calls to Android devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 11:25 AM in response to Stephogami

Stephogami wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Base on your reply, this means that I can make calls as well (like a phone) or just able to access wifi in areas where there is no Hotspot/wifi?

Neither. The iPad on its own cannot make cellular calls. It needs a paired iPhone for that.

Cellular iPads can use the cellular data connection for internet access. This is not Wi-Fi. Its cellular data access like a smart phone uses for internet access.

You can use said internet access to make internet based calls such as FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, etc... but you cannot place cellular voice calls to Android devices.

Will an iPad Pro 11 inch 2nd generation with wifi and LTE work the same as a cellular model like a 3rd generation iPad Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.