Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" on one computer

I have a Brother MFC-L2710DW printer/scanner, that I connect to via AirPrint. The printer and scanner both worked fine, and the printer is working right now. However, last week I tried to use the scanner for the first time in a while, and every attempt reports:

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)

There are other Macs in this house, and all of them are able to use to the scanner without a problem. It's just this MBP with an M1 Pro. (The other Macs all have Intel silicon). This suggests that the printer/scanner is working fine.

I tried removing and adding the printer. Removing, adding, and rebooting. And finally, Resetting the printer system, adding, and rebooting. The printer still works, and the scanner does not respond.

Does anyone

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 12:13 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2022 1:34 PM in response to quokka

Hello quokka,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your Scanner due to an error. It looks like you've taken excellent steps so far! Try the steps listed here to see if they resolve the issues with scanning: Solve scanning problems on Mac - Apple Support

• "Make sure the scanner is plugged into an electrical outlet and turned on, and that its cables are securely connected.

• If you previously saw a scanning option and you don’t see one anymore, try deleting the scanner (or multifunction printer) and adding it again.
  • If you’re pressing a button on your scanner to perform the scan, try using an app instead, such as Image Capture or Preview, or go to the scanner manufacturer’s website to see what other apps are recommended. See Scan an image using Image Capture.
  • If the scanner is connected to the USB port on an AirPort base station, connect the scanner to a USB port on your Mac.
  • If more than one user is logged in to your Mac, log out every user. Then log in again and try to scan."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

"Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" on one computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.