Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronizing bookmarks

How do I synchronize Safari bookmarks between an iMac and a MacBook Pro?

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 1:59 PM

Hello jackfromlosangeles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We can help get your Safari bookmarks to sync between your iMac and MacBook Pro.

You can use iCloud for Safari to sync the bookmarks, detailed here:

"Set up iCloud for Safari on all your devices

You can use iCloud with Safari on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. You can also access web bookmarks on your Windows computer, and you can restore your bookmarks and reading list using iCloud.com. For an overview of what you can do with iCloud, see Keep your Safari bookmarks, reading list, and tabs up to date with iCloud.

Note: Make sure you’re signed in with the same Apple ID on each device. If you have devices where you’re not signed in with your Apple ID or that have the Safari feature turned off, you won’t be able to access your Safari data stored in iCloud on those devices."

Enable the feature with these steps:

"Set up iCloud for Safari on your Mac

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then click iCloud.
  2. Select Safari, then follow the onscreen instructions.
  3. To see your bookmarks, reading list, and tabs open on your other devices, open Safari.

For more information on how to use bookmarks, reading list, and tabs on your Mac, see Bookmark webpages that you want to revisit in Safari on MacKeep a Reading List in Safari on Mac, and Use tabs for webpages in Safari on Mac in the Safari User Guide for Mac."

We hope this helps to sync the Safari bookmarks between your devices.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 1:59 PM in response to jackfromlosangeles

Hello jackfromlosangeles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We can help get your Safari bookmarks to sync between your iMac and MacBook Pro.

You can use iCloud for Safari to sync the bookmarks, detailed here:

"Set up iCloud for Safari on all your devices

You can use iCloud with Safari on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. You can also access web bookmarks on your Windows computer, and you can restore your bookmarks and reading list using iCloud.com. For an overview of what you can do with iCloud, see Keep your Safari bookmarks, reading list, and tabs up to date with iCloud.

Note: Make sure you’re signed in with the same Apple ID on each device. If you have devices where you’re not signed in with your Apple ID or that have the Safari feature turned off, you won’t be able to access your Safari data stored in iCloud on those devices."

Enable the feature with these steps:

"Set up iCloud for Safari on your Mac

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then click iCloud.
  2. Select Safari, then follow the onscreen instructions.
  3. To see your bookmarks, reading list, and tabs open on your other devices, open Safari.

For more information on how to use bookmarks, reading list, and tabs on your Mac, see Bookmark webpages that you want to revisit in Safari on MacKeep a Reading List in Safari on Mac, and Use tabs for webpages in Safari on Mac in the Safari User Guide for Mac."

We hope this helps to sync the Safari bookmarks between your devices.

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2022 9:29 AM in response to jackfromlosangeles

Hey jackfromlosangeles,

Since it sounds like everything is set up correctly and some bookmarks are missing, try the troubleshooting from from If your iCloud or Safari bookmarks aren’t syncing - Apple Support. Disabling, then turning iCloud bookmarks back on may be a particularly helpful step.

For Mac

"Turn off iCloud Bookmarks and turn it back on

1. Quit Safari.
  2. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. If you're using macOS Catalina, click Apple ID. Click iCloud.
  3. Deselect Safari.
  4. Close System Preferences and wait about a minute.
  5. Open System Preferences and click iCloud.
  6. Select Safari.
  7. Open Safari."

"For iOS

Turn off iCloud Bookmarks and turn it back on

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Turn off Safari. 
  3. You can choose Delete from My [device] if your data exists on one or more of your computers. Otherwise, choose Keep on My [device].
  4. Wait a few minutes, then turn on Safari again."

Have a great day!

Sep 1, 2022 1:52 PM in response to faith185

After I have added bookmarks to Safari on my iMac here's what happens on the MacBook:

First, I follow steps 1 through 5 on the Mac instructions above.

At step 6, after selecting Safari, I get a popup message asking if I want to merge my bookmarks and reading list with iCloud. There are two options: OK and Cancel.

If I select OK I get the same incomplete bookmarks that I had before when I reopen Safari.

If I select Cancel, there is no change: Safari remains unselected in iCloud and I still have the errant bookmarks as above.

Result: back to step 0.

Alternate conclusion: iCloud is not listening to Safari on the iMac.

Sep 1, 2022 7:32 AM in response to justin_900

I already had the iCloud setup completed. The iPad has no problem syncing with the MacBook Pro but both are missing 57 entries from one Bookmarks tab in the iMac (I didn't check the others). The MacBook has the same number of bookmarks as there are on the iMac but they're different and it's not picking up new ones from the iMac. So the iMac appears to be disconnected from iCloud even though it shows as connected and both the iPad and the MacBook show up on its iCloud connection.

Complicated, no?

Sep 1, 2022 3:04 PM in response to jackfromlosangeles

On further investigation I find that the bookmarks are now finally synchronizing but the order of appearance has changed between the iMac and the others. That is, the latest bookmark on the iMac shows at the bottom of the list in its tab where the same bookmark on the MacBook and the iPad is in some random position in its tab. Since I depend on the position-in-the-tab as an indication of timeliness this makes the non-iMac devices less useful. I was hoping for a direct correspondence in sequence on all the devices.

Synchronizing bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.