Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded new Monterey OS. My sound doesn't work and My built-in speakers of my Mac is not visible in systems preferences

I downloaded new Monterey OS. My sound doesn't work and My built-in speakers of my Mac is not visible in systems preferences. Any suggestions how to fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 8:58 AM

MP_101 wrote:

I downloaded new Monterey OS. My sound doesn't work and My built-in speakers of my Mac is not visible in systems preferences. Any suggestions how to fix this?

Have you rebooted more than once since your update(?) / upgrade(?)

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 8:58 AM in response to MP_101

MP_101 wrote:

Have you rebooted more than once since your update(?) / upgrade(?)

The current stable release of Monterey including bug fixes, is macOS 12.5.1

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

I downloaded new Monterey OS. My sound doesn't work and My built-in speakers of my Mac is not visible in systems preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.