Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File becoming corrupted.

I do a lot of photography work with Photoshop and I do regular backups. When copying my files from August to a back up disk, Finder told me one of the files couldn't be read. When I tried opening the file in Photoshop, it couldn't be read either. The file was from August 1st. I opened up Time Machine and went to August 3rd, could the file and restored it. The restored file was fine, so I can assume the originally created file was fine.

Unfortunately, I've seen this before. Do I need to replace my hard disk?

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 5:08 PM

That's disturbing and it shouldn't happen but you knew that already.

Not necessarily, but I recommend more than just one Time Machine backup, with at least one of them kept geographically separate from all others at all times. That means a minimum of three backup devices.

Then open Disk Utility and "verify" the disk containing those photographs. If it finds problems and it is the Mac's startup disk then "repairing" it requires booting macOS Recovery.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Usually, a traditional spinning hard disk drive exhibits symptoms of failure long before it fails completely. Those symptoms usually manifest in poor performance, giving you lots of advance warning before it becomes completely intolerable. Mysterious file corruption in the absence of other causes (see below) or symptoms is extremely rare.

Never use any non-Apple disk "optimizers" / "managers" / "cleaners" / "doctors" / "anti-virus" products / similarly categorized junk. Hopefully that just goes without saying.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 5:08 PM in response to danbaumbach

That's disturbing and it shouldn't happen but you knew that already.

Not necessarily, but I recommend more than just one Time Machine backup, with at least one of them kept geographically separate from all others at all times. That means a minimum of three backup devices.

Then open Disk Utility and "verify" the disk containing those photographs. If it finds problems and it is the Mac's startup disk then "repairing" it requires booting macOS Recovery.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Usually, a traditional spinning hard disk drive exhibits symptoms of failure long before it fails completely. Those symptoms usually manifest in poor performance, giving you lots of advance warning before it becomes completely intolerable. Mysterious file corruption in the absence of other causes (see below) or symptoms is extremely rare.

Never use any non-Apple disk "optimizers" / "managers" / "cleaners" / "doctors" / "anti-virus" products / similarly categorized junk. Hopefully that just goes without saying.

Aug 31, 2022 5:25 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you. I have two other hard disk back up besides Time Machine so I think I'm safe. I ran the disk utility and it found no errors. I know, however, from previous experience, that if I hadn't replaced the corrupted file with a good one, it probably would have found errors.

Hard disks usually fail with more frequent read and write errors and bad sectors. I've seen none of this.

It just seems that a few files become corrupted after a month or so.

File becoming corrupted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.