Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot sign in using Apple ID to complete 2-factor authentication

Finally decided to enable 2-factor authentication on my iMac, but my PW was declined. Tried to update via Settings, but had to enter a PW (same one) that was rejected. Trying to do the right thing here, but feeling frustrated. Can anyone help me work through this?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 6:06 PM

Enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

If you have 2 Factor Authentication enabled, if you can't recover the password using the steps above, you will need to use Account Recovery. The Recovery Process is an automated process and the length of time it takes can vary a lot. Apple ID Support can only answer your questions. They can't intervene in or speed up the process. The article below has some suggestions to shorten the time the process takes.

Apple ID - Recover your Apple ID with two-factor authentication account recovery.   *

If you have changed your password, have you followed the steps in this article on all devices/computers?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.  *. 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 6:06 PM in response to ElsieGal

Enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

If you have 2 Factor Authentication enabled, if you can't recover the password using the steps above, you will need to use Account Recovery. The Recovery Process is an automated process and the length of time it takes can vary a lot. Apple ID Support can only answer your questions. They can't intervene in or speed up the process. The article below has some suggestions to shorten the time the process takes.

Apple ID - Recover your Apple ID with two-factor authentication account recovery.   *

If you have changed your password, have you followed the steps in this article on all devices/computers?

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.  *. 

Sep 1, 2022 7:42 PM in response to Eric Root

BTW, this turned out to be a complete user error (that'd be me). 2 Factor asked for the ID I use to unlock my iMac, and I kept trying my actual Apple ID PW, which is different. I fretted about it for many hours, and when I woke up this morning I realized my mistake. Geez!! So hopefully all is A-OK for me now. Thanks so very much for your quick and excellent reply/help.

Cannot sign in using Apple ID to complete 2-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.