Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital output from ipod classic 6th gen to a DAC?

Hi. I have an ipod classic 6th generation 120gb. I am wondering if the 30pin connector outputs digital audio that can feed into an external DAC via USB?

My hifi stereo has a Schiit Modi dac and I'd love to plug my ipod into it. I found an adapter on ebay with a 30-pin-male on one end and a USB-A-female on the other end. Can this be used to get ditial audio over USB into a DAC?

iPod Classic

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM

As far as I am aware the 30 pin dock connector only delivers stereo analogue audio. While there are data lines for transferring files to and from the device I don't believe these are used for audio data, but I could potentially be wrong.

Here is a pin out: https://pinoutguide.com/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml. You might be able to find one with more detail.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2022 9:19 AM in response to MattL2

As far as I am aware the 30 pin dock connector only delivers stereo analogue audio. While there are data lines for transferring files to and from the device I don't believe these are used for audio data, but I could potentially be wrong.

Here is a pin out: https://pinoutguide.com/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml. You might be able to find one with more detail.

tt2

Sep 1, 2022 10:25 AM in response to turingtest2

That's interesting. What about all the countless ipod dock-and-play devices sold in the late aughts and early teens? I remember there was a popular brand called iHome. They made alarm clocks and speakers that played music from a docked ipod. My dad even had a Yamaha mini/bookshelf stereo that would play music from a docked ipod.

I assumed these devices were using their own DACs, but if what you say is true, they must be taking analog music and simply amplifying it!

Digital output from ipod classic 6th gen to a DAC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.