Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Screen Flickering Black

On a MacBook Pro 2017 A1708 with function keys.

Past few days the screen has been flickering on/off constantly, occasionally just portions of the display has black bars that flicker.

It flickers every few seconds by itself, or more rapidly when i'm typing/moving the cursor.

Weirdly, it stops flickering when i check for updates, or have it hooked up to an external monitor. This i guess indicates it's either software issues, or hardware? The usb c ports maybe? Idk. The ports work for charging, ext monitor, and mouse still, although it has been having issues reading usb drives/ext. drives.

What i've done to try mitigate this, but to no avail:

• boot in safe mode, reset smc and nvram/pram
  • updated from big sur to monterey
  • replaced the battery (needed to anyway) and inspected insides, nothing unusual from a glance
  • disk utility first aid

Any help/clues would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2022 9:55 PM

etchekaia Said:

"MBP Screen Flickering Black: On a MacBook Pro 2017 A1708 with function keys. Past few days the screen has been flickering on/off constantly, occasionally just portions of the display has black bars that flicker. It flickers every few seconds by itself, or more rapidly when i'm typing/moving the cursor.[...]"

-------

Based on personal experience...

About a Flickering Mac Screen:

A. Your Screen is Failing:

I have come across this on my 2017 Mac. The connector between the LogicBoard and the screen when loose, and I had to send it in for service 11 times. Being during COVID, I had to send this in. Today, the option to take this in for service is an option. So take this in for service, ASAP.

B. To Get this Mac Serviced...

Contact Apple, and setup a Genius Bar Appointment or see an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area.

A. Contact Apple:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

Or...

B. Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the Mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2022 9:55 PM in response to etchekaia

etchekaia Said:

"MBP Screen Flickering Black: On a MacBook Pro 2017 A1708 with function keys. Past few days the screen has been flickering on/off constantly, occasionally just portions of the display has black bars that flicker. It flickers every few seconds by itself, or more rapidly when i'm typing/moving the cursor.[...]"

-------

Based on personal experience...

About a Flickering Mac Screen:

A. Your Screen is Failing:

I have come across this on my 2017 Mac. The connector between the LogicBoard and the screen when loose, and I had to send it in for service 11 times. Being during COVID, I had to send this in. Today, the option to take this in for service is an option. So take this in for service, ASAP.

B. To Get this Mac Serviced...

Contact Apple, and setup a Genius Bar Appointment or see an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area.

A. Contact Apple:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

Or...

B. Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the Mac

Sep 1, 2022 1:40 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the reply.

A failing screen would make sense, however the exceptions of having it connected to an external monitor or just checking for software updates completely stopping the flickering (on both laptop and ext monitor displays) makes me think otherwise.

I may take it into an authorised repairer, but it'd have to be a cheap fix because this generation of MBP is awful and really not worth the time and money to fix, so many issues and so little power. Might just 'upgrade' to a 2015 MBP.

Sep 1, 2022 4:40 AM in response to etchekaia

etchekaia Said:

“MBP Screen Flickering Black: [..]A failing screen would make sense, however the exceptions of having it connected to an external monitor or just checking for software updates completely stopping the flickering (on both laptop and ext monitor displays)[…]”

———-

New Connector:

It’s probably no more than the connector between the screen and the LogicBoard. That’s the reason for the issue with my 2017 MBP.

MBP Screen Flickering Black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.