Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual or multiple monitors - one app full screen on monitor A - why can I not use the minimize buttons on monitor B

Hi Apple and community,

What are ways, if any, to not be limited by Apple's screen / monitor limitations?

I know it is possible, as I have experienced it using Matrox's solutions such as TripleHead2Go and there are probably others, but how do I do this:

• open some youtube video on monitor A
  • go fullscreen on that video you just opened / started playing
  • then => on monitor B, the window minimise buttons are greyed out?

On a side note:

Supose you have multiple monitors with really thin or no edges at all, why would you impose a limit to having an application partly span another monitor? There are numerous applications e.g. investing applications where you can arrange your "view" just the way you want by various ways of moving "information panes" to about any position within that view.

Suppose you have two or three 27" (rimless) monitors why limit e.g. having application A to span 1.3 monitors and having application B span only 1/3 of the second monitor?

Thanks for any pointer or way to remove these limitations!

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 12:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 3:14 AM

If you want a window to span across more than one display, the only way is to disable “Displays have separate Spaces” in System Preferences->Mission Control (as you probably know). This, however, has many limitations. In particular, if you want to use full screen, it uses only that display and blacks out the other displays.

There is no problem, in the usual settings, to have different panes or windows on different displays. AFAICT, the only thing you currently cannot do is have the same window use two or more displays.

As users, we have no control over this, so you may want to let Apple know of your wishes:

https://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2022 3:14 AM in response to iPanini

If you want a window to span across more than one display, the only way is to disable “Displays have separate Spaces” in System Preferences->Mission Control (as you probably know). This, however, has many limitations. In particular, if you want to use full screen, it uses only that display and blacks out the other displays.

There is no problem, in the usual settings, to have different panes or windows on different displays. AFAICT, the only thing you currently cannot do is have the same window use two or more displays.

As users, we have no control over this, so you may want to let Apple know of your wishes:

https://www.apple.com/feedback

Dual or multiple monitors - one app full screen on monitor A - why can I not use the minimize buttons on monitor B

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.