Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having troubles sharing my screen with SideCar from my MacBook to the iPad

Going through all the FAQs and tips, my problem is still unresolved.

Quick context:

As everyday, today also wanted to use my iPad as a second screen for work. Usually I don't have any issues with it and connecting fast and sweet via cable. However today stopped working.

I can see the iPad in Finder, but doesn't pop up in the Display Preferences, neither in the Control Center Screen Sharing menu.

What I've tried:

• connecting via WiFi - following all the requirements to do so, such as same Apple ID, same network, devices next to each other etc..
    • connecting via cable
      • tried different ports
      • different cables (although I don't think this could be an issue as in Finder I can see)
    • my device also trusted as I used it yesterday as well, so it's never asking anymore

Specs:

MacBook Pro 13' (2020) - Last Intel model - MacBookPro16,2

MacOS 12.5.1 (same version which worked the last weeks)

iPad Pro 2nd gen. 12.9' - MQDC2B/A

iPadOS 15.6.1

Update: Also tried Universal Control, but doesn't work either. Although, I don't mind that!

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 2:21 PM

Hi benji_p,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

If you're trying to use your iPad as a 2nd monitor with a MacBook Pro and Sidecar, sign out of iCloud on your iPad and sign back in. You'll receive prompts on your Apple devices to confirm the sign-in on the iPad. Afterward, go to your MacBook Pro, where you should see a notification badge on your System Preferences. Click into Apple ID, where you'll be prompted to enter your iPad passcode and your MacBook Pro password. Once everything goes through, you should be able to go back to Sidecar in System Preferences and see your device as an option.

Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support

The steps above will help you use your iPad as a second display with your MacBook Pro. 

If you're still experiencing the same issue, reach back out to the community for more help.

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 2:21 PM in response to benji_p

Hi benji_p,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

If you're trying to use your iPad as a 2nd monitor with a MacBook Pro and Sidecar, sign out of iCloud on your iPad and sign back in. You'll receive prompts on your Apple devices to confirm the sign-in on the iPad. Afterward, go to your MacBook Pro, where you should see a notification badge on your System Preferences. Click into Apple ID, where you'll be prompted to enter your iPad passcode and your MacBook Pro password. Once everything goes through, you should be able to go back to Sidecar in System Preferences and see your device as an option.

Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support

The steps above will help you use your iPad as a second display with your MacBook Pro. 

If you're still experiencing the same issue, reach back out to the community for more help.

Cheers!

Having troubles sharing my screen with SideCar from my MacBook to the iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.