Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I text my friend's phone number with SMS and email with iMessage?

I recently started using an iPhone 4S - horribly out of date, I know, but I prefer its size and simplicity. I have limited SMS texting and no data plan, so I was hoping to be able to text via iMessage when connected to WiFi so I don't have to pay through the nose and automatically switch to SMS when I'm out of WiFi range. Unfortunately, when I try to text my friend (who has an iPhone and Mac) with iMessage turned on and "Send as SMS" on for when iMessage is unavailable, my phone always texts through iMessage even when I'm not connected to the internet at all. The texts I send when disconnected simply don't arrive until I connect again. I can only text my friend through SMS by selecting an unsent text and choosing "Send again as SMS", but then I have to clear the conversation and restart the phone in order to text through iMessage again.

What I want to know is, firstly are there solutions to this, and secondly, is it possible to split my friend's contact info into phone number and set that as SMS only, and email and set that as iMessage texting? Due to my phone being so old I can't download any other IM apps unfortunately. Thanks!

iPhone 4s, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 10:47 AM

Well, what you are doing works as designed. The reason it goes as iMessage when you are not connected to Wi-Fi is it queues the message and waits for a Wi-Fi connection. The only way it would switch to SMS is if your friend had turned off iMessage. But as long as the iMessage server “knows” your friend can receive iMessages that is what it will do.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2022 10:47 AM in response to nicolaj-b

Well, what you are doing works as designed. The reason it goes as iMessage when you are not connected to Wi-Fi is it queues the message and waits for a Wi-Fi connection. The only way it would switch to SMS is if your friend had turned off iMessage. But as long as the iMessage server “knows” your friend can receive iMessages that is what it will do.

Sep 1, 2022 9:48 AM in response to nicolaj-b

Well, your first problem is a 4S is no longer supported for cellular access by any US carrier, except in selected locations using Verizon, and even that is going away shortly; the 4S uses the 3G network, and the US carriers have shut down 3G service. If you are in another country 3G may still work sporadically, but it will be going away soon also.

The other issue is that SMS can’t use Wi-Fi; it uses the network voice signaling channel. Again, the exception is if you have Wi-Fi calling on your carrier account; it can use that.

To be able to continue using cellular technology you need an iPhone 6 or newer, and for full support for apps a 6S or newer.

Can I text my friend's phone number with SMS and email with iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.