Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What options other than tossing a perfectly good machine?

On eBay I bought from a reputable seller (5000 5 star) %100 reviews a M1 imac 8core 8Gpu. I did my homework and checked the serial before buying to find it had Apple Care! I called Apple and told them that I had a chance to buy this iMac for a great price because the seller lost their iCloud password. They told me that it was not reported stolen and saw the Apple care. The assured me that I could go to an Apple Store even for help reinstalling the machine. I was so excited to tryu Apple SoC as I am selling my Intel now and have my eye on a studio.

I had no problem doing the erasing and reinstall as i am familiar with the process. I could also deal with a few unexpected issues. When I got it, it was indeed icloud locked. Problem it was locked via MDM.

This was not described and a lot different than a simple iCloud problem. I called Apple and then they saw this. They said it isn't reported stolen and the process of lifting the MDM started but only halfway. They told me the MDM lock needed to be removed from the MDM server....... OK They suggested I find the owner so I could contact the business or organization that had the MDM key. I was happy to find them, if it was stolen, help them get this machine back. If they indeed had no use for it, I would ask for the pin or have them clear the MDM. Apple said for security reasons they could not disclose the iMac's affiliated organization or company. Ok, well I asked them to contact the business or school? They said no. They couldn't do that!

Apple wants to be less wasteful but here is a great machine people dream of owning rotting. What is being green or responsabile? The buying another? Tossing it?

Ethical issues? I am trying to do whats right and responsable. I am blocked with privacy concerns?

In the interest of security I can not help return a school or small business trying to get by their equipment back. At the same time its a waste of resources if the computer can be unlocked. I would imagine millions of kids and underprivileged people and non-profits would kill to have this machine, including me.

What are the options anyone can think of outside of recouping my money via ebay purchase guarantee? I would rather get this running or use the parts to make money to buy a unlocked machine.

I am not asking for a workaround so thieves can get around the MDM, just the opposite. Apple has given me their support, it is not stolen but they can not give me the names needed,

Any ideas out there recouping or experience parting or selling MDM locked iMacs?

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 5:15 PM

MDM is a show-stopper. The only way to circumvent it is to have that Mac released from the previous owner's MDM provisioning. That is accomplished through the Mac's serial number.

They told me the MDM lock needed to be removed from the MDM server....... OK They suggested I find the owner so I could contact the business or organization that had the MDM key. I was happy to find them, if it was stolen, help them get this machine back. If they indeed had no use for it, I would ask for the pin or have them clear the MDM. Apple said for security reasons they could not disclose the iMac's affiliated organization or company. Ok, well I asked them to contact the business or school? They said no. They couldn't do that!

All of that is correct. Apple places high regard on customer privacy; unfortunately you are not their customer. Whoever Apple sold that Mac to is their customer. Apple will be intransigent regarding the matter.

Your only recourse is through eBay. The seller must take it back, lest his stellar rating suffer. His business would very likely collapse. Even if that were to happen, eBay will refund your money.

Except...

Am I to understand that screenshot is excerpted from the eBay listing? If so the seller told you it was a parts machine in very clear terms. You may be out of luck.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2022 5:15 PM in response to Made-4-Mac

MDM is a show-stopper. The only way to circumvent it is to have that Mac released from the previous owner's MDM provisioning. That is accomplished through the Mac's serial number.

They told me the MDM lock needed to be removed from the MDM server....... OK They suggested I find the owner so I could contact the business or organization that had the MDM key. I was happy to find them, if it was stolen, help them get this machine back. If they indeed had no use for it, I would ask for the pin or have them clear the MDM. Apple said for security reasons they could not disclose the iMac's affiliated organization or company. Ok, well I asked them to contact the business or school? They said no. They couldn't do that!

All of that is correct. Apple places high regard on customer privacy; unfortunately you are not their customer. Whoever Apple sold that Mac to is their customer. Apple will be intransigent regarding the matter.

Your only recourse is through eBay. The seller must take it back, lest his stellar rating suffer. His business would very likely collapse. Even if that were to happen, eBay will refund your money.

Except...

Am I to understand that screenshot is excerpted from the eBay listing? If so the seller told you it was a parts machine in very clear terms. You may be out of luck.

Sep 1, 2022 1:07 PM in response to Made-4-Mac

Return the thing and get your money back. NEVER buy a Mac from an E-Bay seller, Marketplace, Amazon used, Craigs List etc.

If you cannot afford a new Mac then buy an Apple refurbished Mac directly from Apple ( Certified Refurbished Products - Apple ) or buy a used Mac from a reputable reseller such as Macsales.com.

You goofed, take this experience and do it right the next time.

Sep 6, 2022 5:52 PM in response to John Galt

Valid point. I covered my bases there. The described item was a computer suitable for light gaming etc and described access to hardware. The seller pointed out directly that the screen was functioning perfectly and in good shape yet the ONLY issue which made it a parts computer was the fact the iCloud Pass was forgotten. NO mention of they never having had the password or iMac to themselves. No mention that the activation lock was stuck on MDM lock recovery making every aspect of the item and its parts, most notably the logic board was locked well beyond the iCloud password and no mention of a logic board bricked and this computer belonging to another company or organization. It just has too many variables implied to be functioning. With Apples documentation too, they were able to notate and reference that this was locked and owned by someone else. This was clearly intentional as the listing was for $699, settled on $600. eBay charged me $50.00! TAX how many times is the government going to make retail sales tax off a single broken machine

?? Id that even legal? A refund I will have and guaranteed. I bought it, expecting some headaches and time needed to restore and reformat, not land myself a semi-hot iMac.

I'm not complaining, I am trying to fix the issue and most ethically. If I can't, the seller can pay for misrepresenting an issue by paying shipping. Maybe next time they won't throw out the customers number after it was sold (Cough BS). Like, you run a digital resale company and your keeping a paper record? It's smoke and mirrors. The seller passed off their problem to me and misrepresented it. They sell laptops and even at the same time sold a iCloud password forgotten MacBook Air. It's clear, it's intentional, it's unethical.

Taking in to consideration that I can't prove they knew, I offered a partial refund be given so I only spend $150 for what Apple called a useless but pretty thing. Id love to fix it somehow.

Does anyone have the technicians manual for these? Please?

Sep 6, 2022 6:16 PM in response to Made-4-Mac

I understand. eBay tends to side with the customer (you) so returning it would be my first recommendation, despite the fact it was sold as a "parts machine". Explain the fact it was not clearly represented as MDM locked — which is vastly different than simply having been associated with an Apple / iCloud ID as you explained in your screenshotted correspondence — and perhaps eBay will find in your favor.

The most expensive part is the logic board, and since iMacs are single board computers that's essentially the entire machine. What else is there? The case, display assembly, but there is not much else in an iMac worth salvaging or attempting to resell.

Everything is fixable, and if you were to hypothetically bring it to Apple they would most likely propose replacing the logic board. That "repair" is almost certain to exceed the price you paid.

And yes the government would take their cut... again.

This is the reason I often explain dealing with used Macs is best left to very knowledgeable buyers — and sellers. They do exist on eBay, but they are rare.

What options other than tossing a perfectly good machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.