Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot slip individual audio track to correct phase in FCP

When recording talent using multiple microphones at different distances, audio is out of phase.

This project used a lav on the talent's chest and a shotgun overhead:

FCP does not allow a user to slip an individual audio track to correct phase, neither while attached nor detached from the video clip. While attached, audio tracks will not slip independently of the video clip. But even when detached, each audio track won't slip independently of each other.

My current workaround is to insert the clip into the timeline three times; once as a video clip alone, and then once for each audio track. I can then create a compound clip and slip each standalone audio clip within the compound to match phase.

If there are any Apple engineers on this thread, PLEASE fix this issue!

Being able to slip a single audio track within a clip would save me hours of

• inserting
  • detaching
  • unselecting audio tracks
  • re-inserting clips
  • unselecting audio tracks
  • re-selecting audio tracks
  • and grouping

...every single clip in my production.

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 5:10 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 1, 2022 7:10 PM in response to make-me-happy

Park the playhead on the first frame of the clip to replace. Press shift+F. This will select the clip in the browser and position the in point (match frame). Drag the clip over the "bad" clip in the timeline and hold until it's outlined in white then release. Choose Replace from Start.

Find a project clip’s source clip in Final Cut Pro - Apple Support

Replace clips in Final Cut Pro - Apple Support

Sep 1, 2022 6:12 PM in response to make-me-happy

Just saw your EDIT. That's odd. After breaking apart a stereo clip I can drag one of the channel in subframes and it stays where I release the mouse.

Whenever FCP acts strangely, an easy thing to try is to reset preferences. Hold command and option while launching and choose Delete Preferences... It will open the default Untitled library. Re-open the library you were working on, set the prefs back to the way you like and see if the issue is fixed.

Sep 1, 2022 6:20 PM in response to terryb

EDIT: (I think you've just solved this down below, thank you)

So do I understand correctly you use this method to sync audio tracks and don't have this issue where the audio snaps to the start of the trim?

I also just noticed any changes I make to one clip in my timeline doesn't affect the other clips from the same video file? I thought that was the point of opening a clip?

Cannot slip individual audio track to correct phase in FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.