Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email on Mac

I opened my email when I was not connected to the internet and noticed the message “Remote Content was loaded through your current VPN configuration” at the top of the email I was viewing. When I switched to other emails from different senders the message was still there. What does this mean? I saw on another posters question that it is indicative of a phishing email. Why is that?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 10:23 PM

Hi apis12,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Now, not being an expert ...my opinion / point of view may not be entirely accurate.

Seems, due to recent increased security risks, Apple, by default, no longer loads "remote content" into Mail messages.

In recent software, we now have an option ("load" button in emails) to load the content, if we trust the eMail's sender.

This stops anyone with intent on self-interest or harm from displaying anything they want in our eMails in our inbox.

In very recent software there is now the option to also turn off the automated "do not load remote content"'

if we do not take the associated risks seriously.

Seems the message you are receiving is to alert you that you are not using the added security that is available to you.

ie: VPN you use over-rides the security measure that Apple has instigated for safety reasons.

Hope this helps explain the message, and the changes that have occurred.

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 10:23 PM in response to apis12

Hi apis12,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Now, not being an expert ...my opinion / point of view may not be entirely accurate.

Seems, due to recent increased security risks, Apple, by default, no longer loads "remote content" into Mail messages.

In recent software, we now have an option ("load" button in emails) to load the content, if we trust the eMail's sender.

This stops anyone with intent on self-interest or harm from displaying anything they want in our eMails in our inbox.

In very recent software there is now the option to also turn off the automated "do not load remote content"'

if we do not take the associated risks seriously.

Seems the message you are receiving is to alert you that you are not using the added security that is available to you.

ie: VPN you use over-rides the security measure that Apple has instigated for safety reasons.

Hope this helps explain the message, and the changes that have occurred.

All the best :-)

Email on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.