Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hacked MacBook Pro 16

Hey guys! I just bought a used MacBook today (52 battery cycles). As I was using it I got a system preferences banner notification saying SPRINGER NATURE LIMITED wants admin rights. I opened the banner to check what's going on and I saw that some preferences started showing up. One of them said that the admin has full control over files and the device in general. I called Apple Support and they helped me delete my disks and reinstall Monterey, but now as I booted it again I have this message. Do you think there is something I can do, besides reach out to a hacker lol?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 3:59 PM

It is entirely possible that Springer Nature Limited disposed of that laptop without properly removing it from their Mobile Device Management account, but as KiltedTim noted, chances are high it was stolen.

There is also the possibility that the company IT fat-fingered the wrong serial number into the registration.

There is nothing to erase on the Mac as its serial number is what is used to identify it as belonging to that company.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 3:59 PM in response to IvoCornishJ

It is entirely possible that Springer Nature Limited disposed of that laptop without properly removing it from their Mobile Device Management account, but as KiltedTim noted, chances are high it was stolen.

There is also the possibility that the company IT fat-fingered the wrong serial number into the registration.

There is nothing to erase on the Mac as its serial number is what is used to identify it as belonging to that company.

Hacked MacBook Pro 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.