Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I heard there could be a virus on Zoom.us

I heard there could be a virus on this application. Am I save all my computers are up-to-date on all my devices are up-to-date

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 5:11 PM

You have posted in the macOS Monterey forums and mentioned computer is updated. You never mentioned anything about an iPad. You will probably have better luck posing in the iPad or iOS forums. Just make sure to check the App Store to make sure you are running the most recent version of Zoom. I'm not sure the iOS version had the same vulnerability. As long as both the OS and the app are on their latest versions, that is the best you can do in regards to vulnerabilities. For a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad, you do need to be running the very latest fully released version of the OS for that device. Running an older OS than v15.x runs the risk of unpatched vulnerabilities since Apple does not update older versions of iOS on mobile devices for iPhones and iPads like Apple does with macOS on their computers.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 5:11 PM in response to Marrggee

You have posted in the macOS Monterey forums and mentioned computer is updated. You never mentioned anything about an iPad. You will probably have better luck posing in the iPad or iOS forums. Just make sure to check the App Store to make sure you are running the most recent version of Zoom. I'm not sure the iOS version had the same vulnerability. As long as both the OS and the app are on their latest versions, that is the best you can do in regards to vulnerabilities. For a mobile device like an iPhone or iPad, you do need to be running the very latest fully released version of the OS for that device. Running an older OS than v15.x runs the risk of unpatched vulnerabilities since Apple does not update older versions of iOS on mobile devices for iPhones and iPads like Apple does with macOS on their computers.

Sep 3, 2022 7:24 AM in response to Marrggee

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User and protects against from “ Bad Actor “ Software.

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

I heard there could be a virus on Zoom.us

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.