You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

image of vinyl record album on start up screen

Yesterday (9/2/22) I started seeing an image of a vinyl record album above the sign in on the start up screen. Does anyone know what this is about?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 1:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 2:09 AM

This is what I get when I first log in

That is because I wanted that Avatar

Notice in first of two below the word " Edit " and inserted that specific Avatar

Similar questions

11 replies

Sep 3, 2022 5:17 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the info. I was able to duplicate what you have done. I'm curious why this just spontaneously popped up on my sign in screen without any action on my part. The next question I have is, how do I get rid of it? When I double click on it to edit, I get choices of different memes, symbols, etc. but nothing to delete it completely.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sep 3, 2022 5:37 AM in response to mplsartist60

You can’t delete the user picture. I suppose you could drag in an image of a solid color.

I’ve seen a few posts about it he user picture changing spontaneously. No reason why was found.

Currently, the user account picture is synch’d across iCloud. My guess is something in that process broke down and it randomly chose one of the default user pictures.

What did you have before?

Sep 3, 2022 6:40 AM in response to mplsartist60

To follow on previous posting from another contributor.

When I first received a New Computer and set it up - it chose the a Default Avatar from those available within the Operating System.

Once it was all setup - it Synced ,via iCloud, to my Other Apple Computers and iPhone.

There after, the Owl avatar become the standard across all Apple Devices signed into the Same Apple ID and using iCloud.

Sep 3, 2022 7:02 AM in response to mplsartist60

mplsartist60 wrote:

Barney:
Thanks for your response. Previously, there was nothing above the sign in section, it was just the solid color of the screen.

That's pretty odd since there has always been a user account image. No way to set it up otherwise.

Did you have it set to show username and password at login instead of List of Users (that's in the Users & Groups System Preferences). List of Users would not have a user icon and you would type in your username and password.

If you enable FileVault, the decryption login can only be List of Users, so would show the user account icon.

Sep 3, 2022 7:40 AM in response to mplsartist60

At any rate, it looks like the problem has been solved. It was just a little weird to have something pop up out of the blue like that. I thought perhaps I had been hacked or I tripped a trigger that was releasing the BLACK VINYL DISC OF DEATH that would be playing a funeral dirge or something similar.

Thank you everyone for your help. I can enjoy the holiday weekend now. I hope all of you do so as well.

image of vinyl record album on start up screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.