Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random white flashes on Mac screen

Hello! I have a MacBook Air, Mid 2013, 13-inch, 1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, running macOS Big Sur. Sometimes, I get random flashes of white on the screen. I've tried resetting the PRAM but that doesn't help. What should I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 11:13 PM

There can be multiple reasons for screen flickering/blinking issue on your Mac. Some common reasons for the issue is in-display resolution, inappropriate working of Energy Saver, etc.

However, whatever the reason is, you can resolve the Mac screen flickering/blinking issue on your own with the below few quick fixes:

Fix 1: Reboot your MacBook.

Fix 2: Update your MacBook.

Fix 3: Deactivate automatic graphics switching

Fix 4: Deactivate True Tone

Fix 5: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on Mac.

Fix 6: Reset NVRAM/PRAM on your MacBook.

Hope this will help you out!!!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 11:13 PM in response to daveejh

There can be multiple reasons for screen flickering/blinking issue on your Mac. Some common reasons for the issue is in-display resolution, inappropriate working of Energy Saver, etc.

However, whatever the reason is, you can resolve the Mac screen flickering/blinking issue on your own with the below few quick fixes:

Fix 1: Reboot your MacBook.

Fix 2: Update your MacBook.

Fix 3: Deactivate automatic graphics switching

Fix 4: Deactivate True Tone

Fix 5: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on Mac.

Fix 6: Reset NVRAM/PRAM on your MacBook.

Hope this will help you out!!!

Sep 3, 2022 10:37 PM in response to daveejh

daveejh Said:

"Random white flashes on Mac screen: Hello! I have a MacBook Air, Mid 2013, 13-inch, 1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, running macOS Big Sur. Sometimes, I get random flashes of white on the screen. I've tried resetting the PRAM but that doesn't help. What should I do?"

-------

Based on personal experience...

About a Flickering Mac Screen:

A. Your Screen is Failing:

I have come across this on my 2017 Mac. The connector between the LogicBoardand the screen when loose, and I had to send it in for service 11 times. Being during COVID, I had to send this in. Today, the option to take this in for service is an option. So take this in for service, ASAP.

B. To Get this Mac Serviced...

Contact Apple, and setup a Genius Bar Appointment or see an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area.

A. Contact Apple:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there as Necessary
  • NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, calls are taking a bit linger to get through. And, that makes sense, because many are at home working out-of-the-house or are taking classes over-the-web, this they have more time on their hands to contact Apple Support. So, it might take a bit to get through to Apple Support. But, just stay on the line, and someone will be with you.

Or...

B. Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the Mac

Sep 5, 2022 10:58 AM in response to daveejh

daveejh Said:

"Random white flashes on Mac screen: How much would it cost? [...]Do you think it would be easy for me to do myself?"

-------

Replacing a Screen Yourself:

No. It is a tough practice, and you must have prior experience on doing so. Do not reply on YouTube videos, as they can be misleading. I insist that you take it in for service, if you have never performed this yourself.

Random white flashes on Mac screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.