Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 macbook pro and 2011 iMac - dual monitor

I have a 2019 Macbook pro and a 2011 iMac - I am trying to use the iMac as a dual monitor. I have a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter cable but when I try Command F2 nothing happens. any tips?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2022 7:38 PM

Then it will not work. Please carefully read Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). My advice is to simply buy an external display for the 2019 MBP this is MUCH easier to setup, much more reliable than Target Display Mode ever was (been dead since the advent of 2015 iMacs) and is cheaper as it does not require expensive cabling. Please remember Macs are computers they are not designed to be external displays for other devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2022 7:38 PM in response to occ83

Then it will not work. Please carefully read Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). My advice is to simply buy an external display for the 2019 MBP this is MUCH easier to setup, much more reliable than Target Display Mode ever was (been dead since the advent of 2015 iMacs) and is cheaper as it does not require expensive cabling. Please remember Macs are computers they are not designed to be external displays for other devices.

2019 macbook pro and 2011 iMac - dual monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.