Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring WhatsApp from Backup on Android

Has anyone ever able to restore WhatsApp chat history while moving from Android to iPhone? How to do it? I followed all instructions by WhatsApp - moved data using move to iOS, backing it up to iCloud, installing WhatsApp and initiating. It just can't find the back up to restore from.

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 2:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 2:13 AM

There are two scenarios.

• WhatsApp Chat is on the Android Device
  • WhatsApp Chat is backed up on Cloud Drives

WhatsApp Chat is on the Android Device

If all your WhatsApp chats are on the Android Device and have not taken a chat backup then... Please use --> Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple ... Select WhatsApp App while selecting which data you want to get moved from an Android to iOS.

WhatsApp Chat is backed up on Cloud Drives

WhatsApp Chat backed on any Cloud Drive may not get fetched. The Move process cannot extract data from Google Drive or any other Drive where the chat backups are stored using an Android device, I presume iCloud Drive is not one of them. My experience says you can't transfer the WhatsApp Backup which was done using an Android because on Android, WhatsApp, chat history is not stored on iCloud, on iOS it is.

That may be possible with third-party software. Warning!; WhatsApp data through third-party software has the risk of data being compromised. Because the data will be churned through third-party servers, which may or may not be encrypted. Be judicious while selecting the software and taking this call.

If you had enabled WhatsApp Chat backup then I am sorry you may need to contact the app developer here --> App Support or WhatsApp FAQ  Or Restoring your chat history - WhatsApp FAQ or Contact WhatsApp

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2022 2:13 AM in response to ATS1Copper

There are two scenarios.

• WhatsApp Chat is on the Android Device
  • WhatsApp Chat is backed up on Cloud Drives

WhatsApp Chat is on the Android Device

If all your WhatsApp chats are on the Android Device and have not taken a chat backup then... Please use --> Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple ... Select WhatsApp App while selecting which data you want to get moved from an Android to iOS.

WhatsApp Chat is backed up on Cloud Drives

WhatsApp Chat backed on any Cloud Drive may not get fetched. The Move process cannot extract data from Google Drive or any other Drive where the chat backups are stored using an Android device, I presume iCloud Drive is not one of them. My experience says you can't transfer the WhatsApp Backup which was done using an Android because on Android, WhatsApp, chat history is not stored on iCloud, on iOS it is.

That may be possible with third-party software. Warning!; WhatsApp data through third-party software has the risk of data being compromised. Because the data will be churned through third-party servers, which may or may not be encrypted. Be judicious while selecting the software and taking this call.

If you had enabled WhatsApp Chat backup then I am sorry you may need to contact the app developer here --> App Support or WhatsApp FAQ  Or Restoring your chat history - WhatsApp FAQ or Contact WhatsApp

Sep 4, 2022 3:18 AM in response to ATS1Copper

sorry to say that till date there is no way to complete move whatsapp data from android to iOS for free. Whatsapp has a way to do this but in their beta versions and that is not 100% reliable. If you want your data to be on iOS at any cost then you can use paid application like ‘Wondershare Mobiletrans’ application.

you can find many app recommendations through youtube also.

but after all please note above mentioned warning about 3rd party softwares.

Restoring WhatsApp from Backup on Android

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.