Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the dismount procedure?

On my new iMac with Monterrey, I am getting dismount errors after dragging a USB DRIVE to the trash when I start the computer the next day.

This is the old procedure and have no problem on Big Sur computer when switching that USB Drive between the two for various and assundry reasons.

Has there ben a change such as necessity to dismount from Disk Utility?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 3:03 PM

6 replies

Sep 4, 2022 3:31 PM in response to Sparkgapper

There hasn't been a change. See the following (which is current for Monterey) from Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Eject a storage device

On your Mac, do one of the following:

• Select the item to eject, then choose File > Eject.
  • In the Finder sidebar, click the Eject button  next to the item’s name.
  • On the desktop, drag the item that you want to eject to the Trash.

If you can’t eject a storage device, another app or user may be using one or more files on the storage device. See If you can’t eject a disk on Mac because an app is using it and If you can’t eject a disk because another user is using it.

Sep 5, 2022 8:41 AM in response to FoxFifth

Do not know what happened but I replied to this a couple of hours to ago as the same thing happened opening up this morning. However just got another one.

I was in Time Machine Backup trying to delete some old unwanted files and when I closed out; Cancel; up pops the error message for my backup disk. What is really funny is the icon was still on the desktop and worked properly when double clicked. Just to be sure Ii checked the USB connection and all seemed to be ok/tight. As a final check, I did a restart and the error message did not show up. So, am not really confused as to what is happening.

Also, just to clarify, I only saw the error messages the first two times but totally ASSUMED it was for the USB Drive. Meaning those could have been that I had somehow loosened the USB for my backup and when I checked them reseated it properly as everything SEEMS normal now.

Sparkgapper

Oct 2, 2022 1:01 PM in response to Sparkgapper

Never mind on this as the problem is that when I have to turn the monitor to get to the back it pulls on the backup drive connection which is barely long enough for the drive to sit on the desk. This is what going to be trouble down the road for some people especially us who MUST use a USB A-C stick for transfer data between computers as the only connections are on the back of the case.

What is the dismount procedure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.