Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing MAC HD

I’ve recently deleted my mac hd and did not reinstall the OS. When I tried to restart, it didn’t open so I had to go to the recovery mode to reinstall the OS. Every time I try to do that, it doesn’t show any options of which hard drive I want to use. I cannot push through and I’m stuck. I’ve also tried restoring from time machine and same, no hard drive is showing. Hope someone can help thank you so much

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 9:02 AM

Go into the Utilities menu within Recovery, select,Disk Utility, select Show All Devices, and erase and format the entire hard disk drive or SSD as GUID GPT partitioning, with HFS+ journaling file system or APFS if that’s offered as an option on whichever version of macOS. The macOS installer available via Recovery will then offer the storage as a an installation option.

Assuming an Intel Mac: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

I’d also usually boot Recovery with the most current version supported by the Mac: using Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2022 9:02 AM in response to nlm21

Go into the Utilities menu within Recovery, select,Disk Utility, select Show All Devices, and erase and format the entire hard disk drive or SSD as GUID GPT partitioning, with HFS+ journaling file system or APFS if that’s offered as an option on whichever version of macOS. The macOS installer available via Recovery will then offer the storage as a an installation option.

Assuming an Intel Mac: Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

I’d also usually boot Recovery with the most current version supported by the Mac: using Option-Command-R: Start up from macOS Recovery over the internet. Use this key combination to reinstall macOS and upgrade to the latest version of macOS that’s compatible with your Mac.

Erasing MAC HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.