Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Cinema display works with MacBook Pro 2017 only 10 seconds and goes black

external monitor works for 10 seconds then goes blank. If I disconnect the cable and reconnect it the monitor works again for 10 seconds the goes blank again.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 1:59 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 5, 2022 2:52 PM in response to Rokslyd

Usually an incompatible display resolution or refresh setting, possibly a connector or cable or adapter hardware error, or maybe a problem with the monitor.

As requested above… please describe the full connection path, and the vendor and model of monitor, and the current resolution and refresh settings for this monitor as established on the Mac.

Sep 6, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The MacBook Pro has a broken screen and does not work. I am trying to connect an old Apple Cinema Display with ADC using an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter to a USB-C to VGA DVI HDMI & USB A 4 in 1 Adapter (unbranded). I was just trying to make sure the MBP worked before I replaced the display. I ordered a replacement display already. The MBP was going to be tossed by the owner after I transferred the data to a new MacBook Air so I was hopeful that I could fix it and get a MacBook Pro in exchange for my work.

Sep 6, 2022 11:33 AM in response to Rokslyd

All the Apple Cinema displays with 'ice and snow' lucite bezel feature ADC, and require the apple ADC adapter or equivalent to provide POWER as well as video signal. Once you connect that adapter, the display cable looks rather like a python that just had lunch. But you can then think of it as a single-link DVI display.

so I expect the remaining issue is with:

<< a USB-C to VGA DVI HDMI & USB A 4 in 1 Adapter (unbranded). >>

I suggest you try a better USB-C to DVI adapter.

Apple Cinema display works with MacBook Pro 2017 only 10 seconds and goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.