Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gift Card Scam??

I purchased an Apple gift card from Target on 9/2/2022. It was for $100. When I opened the gift card, part of the redemption code was whited out. Therefore I could not scan or enter the code manually. 

I took the card back to Target and they stated gift cards could not be returned and directed me to call the number for Apple on the back of the gift card. 

I called Apple and they said that they couldn’t help me because part of the code was obscured. 

I asked to speak to his manager and he stated that he couldn’t escalate me any higher. So I asked that he must be Tim Cook. He laughed and said “no.” I then asked to speak to his supervisor and he said he could not provide me with anyone else to talk with. He did say I could write Apple a letter - as in a snail mail letter - and mail it to corporate. Haha!!

I brought it to his attention that there are two reasons why my gift card was whited out. One, either the printing company they use has horrible quality control. Or, Two, it is a scam that someone is committing. First, they take the gift card out, copy the code down. Then white out part of the code and put it back in the outer sleeve. Finally, they wait for someone to buy it and activate the card. He responded by saying “no, I am not aware of any scam.”

Is this a known scam? And how can I get my money back?

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 2:32 PM

See -> About Gift Card Scams

About Gift Card Scams - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 5, 2022 2:41 PM in response to BSween

I purchased an Apple gift card from Target

I took the card back to Target and they stated gift cards could not be returned and directed me to call the number for Apple on the back of the gift card. 

From the link in my previous post:

If you're approached to use the cards for any other payment, you could very likely be the target of a scam and should immediately report it to your local police department as well as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at reportfraud.ftc.gov.

Tips to avoid becoming the victim of a scam

• If you are NOT purchasing an item from Apple — such as from the Apple Store, iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, or for an Apple Music subscription or iCloud storage — do NOT make a payment with an Apple Gift Card, App Store & iTunes Gift Card, or Apple Store Gift Card. There's no other instance in which you'll be asked to make a payment with either of these gift cards.
  • Do not provide the numbers on the back of the gift card to anyone that you don't know.
  • Immediately report potential scams to your local police department as well as the FTC (reportfraud.ftc.gov).

Contact Apple

If you have additional questions, or if you've been a victim of a scam involving Apple Gift Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 (U.S.) and say "gift cards" when prompted, or contact Apple Support online.

More information

Sep 5, 2022 2:52 PM in response to Raicya

I don’t think you understand. I was on the phone with Apple for an hour. Only to be told that I was out $100 because obviously someone used a razor blade and carefully opened the gift card. Took it out. Copied the number down. Used white out to cover up the number. Put it back in the gift card outer sleeve. Sealed it back up. Hung it back in the gift card rack. Waited for someone (me) to buy that card and have it activated by the cashier. Only to find out when I opened it, it couldn’t be redeemed by me, the purchaser. The scam is complete.

Strange how I had to explain this to Apple!!!

So whenever you are going to buy a gift card, pull the little strip and open it up first to make sure the code is completely visible - and not partially whited out.

Sep 6, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Raicya

I realize this is a user based discussion. Basically I wanted to bring this scam to the attention of this group and possibly see if anyone else has had this problem.

Targets return policy for gift cards - they don’t allow it.

Contact the police?? That’s funny!! I live in San Francisco - people here are allowed to take (steal, shop lift, etc.) up to $999 (per instance) without any repercussions. Contact the police …still laughing at that one. 😂🤣

Gift Card Scam??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.