Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run mid 2012 MacBook pro 15" on external speakers if internal speakers don't work?

Can I run mid 2012 MacBook pro 15" on external speakers if internal speakers don't work?

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 2:17 PM

15 replies

Sep 5, 2022 2:43 PM in response to mickibmac

mickibmac wrote:

Can anyone recommend a brand that's small with clear sound, not too high or low in pitch? I have very little space and am deaf in one ear.

There are literally hundreds of speakers, both plug in and bluetooth—

mid 2012 has both audio in and out—audio out is the same as speaker port as today 3.5mm

find one that suits your budget. I use the lowest end Altecs I could find. excellent speakers.

here is one example from Logitech:

https://www.target.com/p/logitech-s120-speaker-system-black-980-000309/-/A-14479755

Sep 5, 2022 2:52 PM in response to mickibmac

mickibmac wrote:

The Altecs are wired I assume. Are they bluetooth also? I get confused using bluetooth connections. It seems to be I have to shut off other network connections to use Bluetooth connections.

I would not turn this into a PhD dissertation. If BT does not work well for you —then buy wired.

My Altecs are wired yes sitting on my computer Desk, I have used these for over 10 years.

ex

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224701514324

Sep 5, 2022 3:00 PM in response to mickibmac

mickibmac wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion and info on a quality brand.

Is there anything smaller. These look like they'd work, but are a bit too big – 6.5" high and look pretty wide. I'm in a nursing home with one very small desk. The smaller they are, the better.

google search is your friend...

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/audio/speakers/888010120?

Sep 7, 2022 12:09 PM in response to mickibmac

I've been trying to figure out what to get. I'm really confused about the difference between using a headphone and USB connection, getting an amplifier, and all of this. How do I choose USB in the sound preferences? I need my USB port for other things, so that has some drawbacks. What are the bar speakers like? They look like they would fit my space.

Sep 7, 2022 12:18 PM in response to mickibmac

mickibmac wrote:

I've been trying to figure out what to get. I'm really confused about the difference between using a headphone and USB connection, getting an amplifier, and all of this. How do I choose USB in the sound preferences? I need my USB port for other things, so that has some drawbacks. What are the bar speakers like? They look like they would fit my space.

Anything that's self-powered is what's being suggested. There are small speakers that can be powered off of a headphone jack signal, but that has limitations in terms of output.

I think the discussion of "modest" is about something with a few watts, as opposed to something like a stereo receiver/amp that might be rated at 50-200W per channel. As in enough to annoy the neighbors.

If it's USB, that's just using USB to transmit digital audio. While USB can provide power, it's not likely to be much for anything other than modest headphones or tinny sounding speakers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.