Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi turning itself on

Why does WiFi and Bluetooth keep turning on after I’ve specifically turned them off in the “control panel”? This has me worried that I can be hacked in dubious places that I would NEVER normally turn them on.

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 3:19 PM

Do you turn them off in the control panel only? If so, don't worry.

When disabling them via the control panel, you will just temporarily disable them for 24 hours. If you want to turn them off completely, go to settings and click the button there (e.g. in wifi settings).

5 replies

Sep 7, 2022 12:57 PM in response to Kruzihart

Kruzihart wrote:

It’s not for 24 hrs though, from the control panel. It might just be for a few min and it will turn itself back on. The message that pops up when I turn it off there SAYS it will stay off until tomorrow that time, but next thing I know- it’s back on.

It doesn't turn WiFi off at all from the Control Center. It disconnects your phone from the network. If the phone doesn't move and there's only one network, it will stay disconnected for 24 hours. If, however, there's more than one known network nearby, your phone may try to connect to that network. Or, if you change locations to somewhere there is another network, the phone will connect to that.

Bottom line: If you want to turn WiFi off, you need to do it through Settings>WiFi.

Sep 7, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Kruzihart

As was pointed out go to Settings->WiFi/Bluetooth and turn them off there. They will stay off forever unless you turn them back on. But on the point of being hacked WiFi and Bluetooth are simply not vectors for entry as you the user have to actively connect to a WiFi or Bluetooth network. You are worried about nothing.

WiFi turning itself on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.