Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with ipad brightness

I have an iPad Air 2018, which I use for work as a freelancer illustrator. Recently it started gave a weird issue: the brightness changes automatically without any reason, even if auto brightness is off. I thought it could be caused by the thick cover, so maybe overheating, but most of the time the iPad is cold and so I don’t think is related (and removing the cover doesn’t solve the issue).

Does anyone else had the same issue before? There is something I can do to solve it?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 1:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 1:47 AM

Hey there,

understand that although you have Auto-Brightness disabled on your iPad, you're still seeing the screen adjust without your doing so. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. Since you've already verified that Auto-Brightness is disabled in Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations, I'd recommend reviewing the information below regarding your device and it's operating temperature as this can affect the brightness on your screen:

"If your device gets too warm

If the interior temperature of the device exceeds the normal operating range, the device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. If this happens, you might notice these changes:

• Charging, including wireless charging, slows or stops.
    • The display dims or goes black.
    • Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
    • The camera flash is temporarily disabled.
    • Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.

Additionally, if you're navigating, the device might show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." Navigation still provides audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn."

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

If you feel that the brightness adjusting on your display occurs outside of these conditions, reach out to Apple for further assistance ☞ Contact Apple Suppor

also you can try to restart your iPad and make sure it’s up to date ☞ Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 1:47 AM in response to Julsiji

Hey there,

understand that although you have Auto-Brightness disabled on your iPad, you're still seeing the screen adjust without your doing so. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. Since you've already verified that Auto-Brightness is disabled in Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations, I'd recommend reviewing the information below regarding your device and it's operating temperature as this can affect the brightness on your screen:

"If your device gets too warm

If the interior temperature of the device exceeds the normal operating range, the device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. If this happens, you might notice these changes:

• Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
    • Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.

Additionally, if you're navigating, the device might show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." Navigation still provides audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn."

Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures

If you feel that the brightness adjusting on your display occurs outside of these conditions, reach out to Apple for further assistance ☞ Contact Apple Suppor

also you can try to restart your iPad and make sure it’s up to date ☞ Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 6, 2022 5:48 AM in response to Julsiji

CPU-intensive Apps and tasks, in particular when using graphics Apps at elevated screen brightness, will cause internal heating of the iPad. The iPad’s thermal management will often respond by automatically reducing screen brightness - and then throttle CPU performance if internal heating is not sufficiently controlled. Internal temperatures will be significantly higher than the casing - unless heat is being generated for an extended period.

Removing an external protective case (if fitted), improving natural cooling, can delay the onset of visible thermal management.

As described, the iPad’s thermal management is likely doing its job in trying to protect your iPad (in particular the battery) from irreversible thermal damage. Quoting directly from Apple… If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support:

“If your device gets too warm iOS and iPadOS devices have built-in protections to prevent overheating. If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, your device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. Here are some of the higher ambient-temperature conditions and activities to avoid, because they might cause your device to change performance and behavior:

• Avoid leaving your device in a car on a hot day.
  • Avoid leaving your device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
  • Avoid using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game, or using augmented-reality apps.

If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, you might notice these changes:

• Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.”

Problem with ipad brightness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.