Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10.3.4. Unable to share video @ 60fps

Hi there

I am trying to export video's from iMovie with a 60fps frame rate.

All of the video clips in the project are .mov 1080p/60fps (reduced from 4K / 60fps using the 'Export As' feature in Quick Time Player), the only other media on the timeline are some transparent .png text overlays set on the second video track. I was particularly careful to ensure that the first footage in the project timeline were the 1080p/60fps clips as I understand that the frame rate for any project is governed by the first media to be added to the timeline. All attempts when 'Sharing to File' result with a 1080p / 30fps .mp4 file

Please can someone tell me why iMovie will not export a 60fps file?

TIA

John

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 12:48 PM

The 1080p/60 fps clip that you are importing into iMovie is not being read as 60 fps by iMovie. I assume that you imported the clip as the first clip placed into a totally clean, never before used, iMovie project. So I am wondering if the clip shown as 60 fps in QT inspector is actually a variable frame rate rather than a constant 60 fps frame rate.

To test the frame rate, open your test project and use the slider above and to the right of the timeline to fully expand out the timeline. Then, while holding down the r key, slowly drag your cursor over the clip in the timeline. A frame counter box will appear as you drag, that shows the frames as they appear. If it's a 60 fps project the frame counter will reach 00:59 frames and then at the next tick will show 01:00, indicating 60 fps.

If the project is 30 fps the counter will reach 00:29 and the next tick will be 01:00, indicating 30 fps.

Whether the project checks out at30 fps or 60 fps, try using the free download, Handbrake, to re-encode the clip at a constant, not variable, 60 fps frame rate. It will encode by default at Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

In the Handbrake video window selection option, set the frame rate at 60 fps, Constant Frame Rate and Constant Quality.

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Set your frame rate in the video display screen per above. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 12:48 PM in response to jonty1512

The 1080p/60 fps clip that you are importing into iMovie is not being read as 60 fps by iMovie. I assume that you imported the clip as the first clip placed into a totally clean, never before used, iMovie project. So I am wondering if the clip shown as 60 fps in QT inspector is actually a variable frame rate rather than a constant 60 fps frame rate.

To test the frame rate, open your test project and use the slider above and to the right of the timeline to fully expand out the timeline. Then, while holding down the r key, slowly drag your cursor over the clip in the timeline. A frame counter box will appear as you drag, that shows the frames as they appear. If it's a 60 fps project the frame counter will reach 00:59 frames and then at the next tick will show 01:00, indicating 60 fps.

If the project is 30 fps the counter will reach 00:29 and the next tick will be 01:00, indicating 30 fps.

Whether the project checks out at30 fps or 60 fps, try using the free download, Handbrake, to re-encode the clip at a constant, not variable, 60 fps frame rate. It will encode by default at Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

In the Handbrake video window selection option, set the frame rate at 60 fps, Constant Frame Rate and Constant Quality.

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Set your frame rate in the video display screen per above. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Sep 6, 2022 8:46 AM in response to jonty1512

iMovie does support export of 1080p 60 fps projects. It should show as an export option.

Click on the settings button above and to the right of the timeline and confirm that your project is 1080p 60 fps and not actually 4k

Also, try creating a completely new project and then importing your 1080p 60 fps file into it. In order to set the project resolution and frame rate as that of the first clip, the first clip must be the very first clip placed into a newly created project.

If the newly created project shows as a 1080p 60fps project, but still exports at 30 fps, then perhaps a corrupt preference is causing that. Try deleting preferences. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you get a 1080p 60fps export option.

-- Rich

Sep 6, 2022 11:08 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your message I really appreciate it. I have completed your suggestions without any success in getting iMovie to export 1080p/60fps. What I have done though is to take screenshots in the hope that you may be able to spot anything I am doing wrong.

This 1st screenshot is the properties of the clip I chose to do these tests with. As you can see it is encoded as 1080p with a frame rate of 60.01fps.

As you suggested I make a new project using only the 1 afore mentioned clip, This is from iMovie settings, it shows the clip as 1080p but it does not say the fps, I'm guessing here that iMovie isn't reading the clip properties correctly?

I did an export of the 1st test project and this is the result a 1080p clip at 29.97fps

At this point I did the deleting of the iMovie prefs file as you suggested, below are the results of the 2nd test project I made after deleting the iMovie Prefs.

I know doing all of these screen shots I've been a tad pedantic but I wanted to document what I did in the hope it might shed some light to the cause of the issues with iMovie.

Kind regards

John

iMovie 10.3.4. Unable to share video @ 60fps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.