Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expired certificate transferred by Migration Assistant

I recently transferred my files with Migration Assistant from an Intel iMac to a new Mac Studio, and in reviewing what had been transferred, found that an expired certificate from my old iMac had been transferred to the System Certificates group in my new Keychain. Can I safely delete that expired certificate? It is marked with a red x and the warning that it is not trusted.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 1:20 PM

Can I safely delete that expired certificate?

A definitive answer is not possible because not all apps or websites or browsers or other services require strict compliance with security certificates, and you want to know if you can "safely" delete it.

An expired Certificate is by definition not trusted, therefore it should no longer be considered "safe". However, the apps etc that depend upon its presence might not work, or they might issue an updated Certificate. You won't know for certain until you delete it. The Time Machine backup from which you transferred your files is your safety net.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 1:20 PM in response to dmenning

Can I safely delete that expired certificate?

A definitive answer is not possible because not all apps or websites or browsers or other services require strict compliance with security certificates, and you want to know if you can "safely" delete it.

An expired Certificate is by definition not trusted, therefore it should no longer be considered "safe". However, the apps etc that depend upon its presence might not work, or they might issue an updated Certificate. You won't know for certain until you delete it. The Time Machine backup from which you transferred your files is your safety net.

Expired certificate transferred by Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.