Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Home Screen

Why won’t my iPhone allow me to edit the Home Screen? I have an iPhone 12 mini and this problem has been happening since I had an iPhone 7+. When I try to hold down the app to move it or add widgets nothing happens. It just says share app. What do I do? Also I do have screen time enabled. But I tried the content restrictions fix.

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 8:06 PM

12 replies

Sep 6, 2022 8:18 PM in response to campbell263

campbell263 Said:

"Editing Home Screen: Why won’t my iPhone allow me to edit the Home Screen? I have an iPhone 12 mini and this problem has been happening since I had an iPhone 7+. When I try to hold down the app to move it or add widgets nothing happens. It just says share app. What do I do? Also I do have screen time enabled. But I tried the content restrictions fix."

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Reset the Home Screen Layout:

If widgets are not working as they should or have gone missing somehow, then you need to reset the Home Screen Layout... Go Here: Move and Organize Apps on iPhone - Apple Support. You'd have to add back all the widgets that you can recall being back on there. So, write down what is currently on the Home Screen.

Scroll to: Reset the Home Screen and Apps to their Original Layout

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
  4. Tap: Reset Home Screen Layout
  5. Then... Add the apps back

Sep 7, 2022 9:38 AM in response to campbell263

campbell263 Said:

"Editing Home Screen: Thank you for the response. I just tried this and it didn’t work, but thank you for trying.

———-

You are welcome.

Restore or Reset your iPhone:

Two other thoughts are: (A)restore from a backup or (B)reset your iPhone to factory settings. Important: Back Up First: Be sure create a back up your iPhone prior to performing an update, that way you have something to restore your iPhone from, should anything go wrong afterwards. 

A. Restore from a Backup:

Did your ever back up your iPhone without this error? If so, you could back up your iPhone, and then restore it from the backup.

or...

B. Reset to Factory Settings:

Go here: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2022 7:38 AM in response to campbell263

It just disappeared.

No, moving apps don't make them disappear.

While moving, an app may have been placed in a 'grouped apps folder'.

Have you lost apps, used App Library to search the app you are looking for, see this Apple article:

Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone - Apple Support           

If you have find the app, tap & hold on the app, then drag to the Home screen & drop it.

Sep 8, 2022 5:07 PM in response to campbell263

"TAH62 Said:

"How to remove 'get ready for your new iPad: Thank you for the other options, but I have tried doing both those things and they didn’t work. Thank you for trying though. "

-------

You are welcome.

Lightly Tap Until it Jiggles:

Try not pushing down very lightly, until you see it jiggle.

Restore your iPad to the original iPadOS.

You'd have to have Apple perform that, being that you cannot downgrade the iPadOS yourself. Set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store for this.

Source: The icons on my homescreen won't jiggle - Apple Community

Sep 8, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Raicya

Let me elaborate more on what happens. When I do exactly what you said the app doesn’t really move from the spot it was at. All of my apps are stuck where they are. Tapping them and moving does not work. In the photo I was trying to move merge mansion, but it started to fade away when I put it there. Though it is in the spot it was before. Again thanks for trying!

Editing Home Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.