Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIM Failure message on iPhone

iPhone 13 pro sim failure

I am a fairly new user to iPhone, I got this phone in January of this year. All of a sudden today I began getting a message that says “SIM card failure”. I reached out to Verizon who directed me to reset my network settings to factory settings, this fixed the problem, however, I’ve now had to do this THREE times since today and the last time it did not fix the problem. My phone does not have a physical SIM card and I cannot figure out what is suddenly causing this issue. I haven’t dropped or damaged my phone at all. Any ideas?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 8:56 AM

Hi Jengel11,

That's a good step to try, resetting the network settings, but that is something you should seldom have to perform. There are steps you can take to help narrow down if this is an issue with the physical SIM card or the SIM card reader. We'll place the link and steps found below. Skip any you have already tried.

If you see 'invalid SIM' or 'no SIM' on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1. Make sure that you have an active plan with your wireless carrier. 

2. Restart your iPhone or iPad.

3. Check for a carrier settings update. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see a prompt to select OK or Update.

4. Remove your iPhone SIM card or iPad SIM card from the SIM card tray and then put the SIM card back. Make sure that the SIM tray closes completely and isn’t loose. If you use a SIM tray from a different model iPhone, iPad, or from another phone manufacturer, it might not fit properly.

5. Try using another SIM card. If you don't have one, go to your carrier's retail store and ask them to test with another SIM card. You might need to replace your SIM card.

If you still see an alert about your SIM card, contact Apple support.

Following these steps may help with resolving the message you see popping up about the SIM card. If not, follow the link above for contacting Apple Support.

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Jengel11

Hi Jengel11,

That's a good step to try, resetting the network settings, but that is something you should seldom have to perform. There are steps you can take to help narrow down if this is an issue with the physical SIM card or the SIM card reader. We'll place the link and steps found below. Skip any you have already tried.

If you see 'invalid SIM' or 'no SIM' on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1. Make sure that you have an active plan with your wireless carrier. 

2. Restart your iPhone or iPad.

3. Check for a carrier settings update. Go to Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see a prompt to select OK or Update.

4. Remove your iPhone SIM card or iPad SIM card from the SIM card tray and then put the SIM card back. Make sure that the SIM tray closes completely and isn’t loose. If you use a SIM tray from a different model iPhone, iPad, or from another phone manufacturer, it might not fit properly.

5. Try using another SIM card. If you don't have one, go to your carrier's retail store and ask them to test with another SIM card. You might need to replace your SIM card.

If you still see an alert about your SIM card, contact Apple support.

Following these steps may help with resolving the message you see popping up about the SIM card. If not, follow the link above for contacting Apple Support.

Take care!

SIM Failure message on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.