Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store forcing sign in

I’ve been using daughters iPhone8 for a few years. All of my information and logins have replaced hers. Suddenly when I try to update it’s forcing a login to iTunes, but is using her ID. When I change to my ID it forces a password change, has me login again, and starts the loop of her ID again. I’ve been updating on this phone for years. What happened?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 5:27 AM

The correct way to use someone's iPhone is:

The previous owner (in your case = your daughter) has to read -> this Apple article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then the previous owner has to remove the iPhone from her account, see this Apple article:

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in - Apple Support

Then you can sign in with own your Apple ID.

You can also contact Apple support for help, -> Get Support (apple.com)

You have to show proof of ownership of your product, provide all documentation showing your purchase of the device.

If you do not have additional proof of ownership, contact the reseller. They may be able to provide the original purchase document.

Once Apple receive your proof of ownership, Apple will further review your request and provide an update.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 5:27 AM in response to Irish Lass at a Loss

The correct way to use someone's iPhone is:

The previous owner (in your case = your daughter) has to read -> this Apple article: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Then the previous owner has to remove the iPhone from her account, see this Apple article:

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in - Apple Support

Then you can sign in with own your Apple ID.

You can also contact Apple support for help, -> Get Support (apple.com)

You have to show proof of ownership of your product, provide all documentation showing your purchase of the device.

If you do not have additional proof of ownership, contact the reseller. They may be able to provide the original purchase document.

Once Apple receive your proof of ownership, Apple will further review your request and provide an update.

App Store forcing sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.