Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Apps Decreases Avaliable Phone Storage

Situation: WhatsApp used so far on iPhone5 (iOS 10.3.4) – need to use WA on newer iPhone SE (iOS 15.6.1). Backup of WA created – takes about 2.3 GB in iCloud. Now went to iPhone SE; has 32 GB of Space among was 28 GB used. WA tells me that's not enough space to restore backup and something over 1GB more is needed ... OK; I deleted a big bunch of apps (about 2 GB); tried again to restore WA backup, and it tells me that something more than 4 GB of more space is needed. OK; deleted another 3 GB of apps and tried again ... now WA is telling me again that it needs more than 1 GB of more space. But the most interesting thing is: iPhone Storage shows now over 30 GB used of 32 GB ... (that was less before); it is now "calculating..." for hours now. So as a whole: I freed up about 5 GB of space and have 2 GB less free space now than before??? What's wrong here??? Btw.: there are almost no pics, no docs and other space consuming stuff, the Space bar shows about 30% Apps; 20% iOS, a thin line for Photos, some more thin lines, and about 40% is greyed and "calculating" ...

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 7:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 7:19 AM

Check System Other storage at the bottom of Settings, General, iphone storage . It can temporarily take up space after deletions.

If it is a LOT more than 5GB and it doesn't clear after a restart you may need to Backup, reset to factory then restore the backup

(1)          How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 7:19 AM in response to Aipi

Check System Other storage at the bottom of Settings, General, iphone storage . It can temporarily take up space after deletions.

If it is a LOT more than 5GB and it doesn't clear after a restart you may need to Backup, reset to factory then restore the backup

(1)          How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

(2)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

(3)          Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Deleting Apps Decreases Avaliable Phone Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.