Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Find Home Videos After Migration from iTunes to Music and TV apps

I finally gave up iPhoto and iTunes and went from Mojave to Monterey on all my Macs. My iTunes folder was (and is) on an external HDD, and my setup is so old that my media is in an "iTunes Music" folder instead of an "iTunes Media" folder.

Within my iTunes Music folder were all my songs (thousands) and they migrated to "Music" without a problem by "option-launch-choose a Music Library". Three folders left behind were "Movies", "TV Shows", and "Home Videos".

Movies and TV Shows are all visible in TV app, but "Home Videos" are not. When I have Home Sharing turned on (the new way) Movies and TV Shows are selectable from the "Computers" app/function on Apple TV units, BUT, not so "Home Videos". My Home Videos folder in iTunes contains hours and hours of kids growing up, etc, as well as personal copies of many DVDs which took hours and hours to copy.

Selecting the iTunes Library from TV app does not restore this function. Where in the new file structure does my old "Home Videos" folder go, and will moving it manually restore this important function?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 6:44 PM

In the TV app on your Mac, click on Library, then do File > Import and navigate to the folder that contains your home videos. You should then be able to import them into the TV app.

See Manage your library in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support for more info:

Import home videos to your library

You can import video files so that you can watch them in the Apple TV app.

1. In the Apple TV app  on your Mac, choose File > Import.
    2. Locate a video file on your Mac, then click Open.
    3. Imported videos appear in the Home Videos category in the sidebar of your library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 6:44 PM in response to gokart-mozart

In the TV app on your Mac, click on Library, then do File > Import and navigate to the folder that contains your home videos. You should then be able to import them into the TV app.

See Manage your library in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support for more info:

Import home videos to your library

You can import video files so that you can watch them in the Apple TV app.

1. In the Apple TV app  on your Mac, choose File > Import.
    2. Locate a video file on your Mac, then click Open.
    3. Imported videos appear in the Home Videos category in the sidebar of your library.

Can't Find Home Videos After Migration from iTunes to Music and TV apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.