Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DUAL SIM: Can I use WiFi calling on one phone number, while using CELL on another phone number?

I know this is a weird and uncommon problem, but here it is:

I travel internationally every summer and have a FOREIGN SIM card I install in my iPhone 12 Max Pro. Unfortunately that means that I remove my PRIMARY SIM card and cannot receive calls/messages from the PRIMARY SIM.

While I am overseas I occasionally remove the FOREIGN SIM card and reinstall my PRIMARY SIM card and use WIFI CALLING to receive/make phone calls and messages on the PRIMARY SIM. Then I remove PRIMARY SIM and reinstall FOREIGN SIM and it goes on and on and on. Very cumbersome and a pain!

So my question is: If I convert my PRIMARY SIM into a eSIM, can I have my PRIMARY SIM on WiFi Calling ONLY, while I use the FOREIGN SIM on CELLULAR? I need the PRIMARY SIM on WiFi Calling ONLY because if it even reaches out to a cell tower I get charged!

I am hesitant to try this until I get an answer. Hopefully other people have had this problem and solved it!

Many thanks in advance.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 6:06 PM

In your setup explained above, your primary SIM (eSIM) can coexist with our Foreign SIM (Physical SIM). You can setup where data is only used from the Foreign SIM, however, the Primary eSIM will continue to connect to cellular towers (when not around Wi-Fi) and receive phone calls and SMS text messages.

One positive thing about this setup, in your case, is that you will be able to turn the Primary eSIM OFF and ON easily. This will be much better than swapping out SIM cards all day long.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 6:06 PM in response to snevgeni

In your setup explained above, your primary SIM (eSIM) can coexist with our Foreign SIM (Physical SIM). You can setup where data is only used from the Foreign SIM, however, the Primary eSIM will continue to connect to cellular towers (when not around Wi-Fi) and receive phone calls and SMS text messages.

One positive thing about this setup, in your case, is that you will be able to turn the Primary eSIM OFF and ON easily. This will be much better than swapping out SIM cards all day long.

Axel F.

DUAL SIM: Can I use WiFi calling on one phone number, while using CELL on another phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.