Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

passcode to unlock phone should be different from passcode to unlock Passwords, for security. is this possible?

For security, the passcode to unlock the phone should be different from the passcode to unlock Passwords. Is this possible?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2022 7:11 PM

In large cities people are being mugged for their phones and asked, at gunpoint, for the passcode. With only one passcode that unlocks *everything* the thief then has full access. Can the passcode to Passwords be different to add a level of protection here at least?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2022 7:11 PM in response to JudyR

In large cities people are being mugged for their phones and asked, at gunpoint, for the passcode. With only one passcode that unlocks *everything* the thief then has full access. Can the passcode to Passwords be different to add a level of protection here at least?

Sep 7, 2022 11:49 PM in response to JudyR

To unlock your Passwords you need your Password.

See -> Security and your Apple ID

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

• Never give your Apple ID password, verification codes, device passcode, recovery key, or any account security details to anyone else. Apple will never ask you for this information.

• Apple has strict policies and procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access to your Apple ID. When you contact us for support, we may ask you to confirm your Apple ID via a notification that we send to your device. Or you can generate a temporary Support PIN that identifies your Apple ID. 

Sep 8, 2022 5:57 AM in response to JudyR

I’m not talking about changing my passwords. I’m worried about a mugger unlocking my phone and using the same code to view all my apps, websites and associated passwords. If they thieves know what they’re doing, they have total access to all accounts on my phone. Thieves who steal phones are hitting the financial apps to move money and changing passwords on social media accounts. All within minutes. So, the phone unlock code should be different from the Password unlock code. Is this possible?

passcode to unlock phone should be different from passcode to unlock Passwords, for security. is this possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.