Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K still camera recording stops occasionally after about 8 seconds.

I have a Lumix FZ300 superzoom camera which shoots 4K.

I rarely shoot 4K but on several occasions when I have, the camera stops recording around the 8 second mark and a warning appears claiming that it has shutdown because of the limitation of the SD card.

However, if I then click the record button again it will happily start recording for as long as I want.

I suspect it  is more probably connected with the time-limitation given to recording with still cameras.

In itself it is no big deal but yesterday I had waited to get a video of an aeroplane passing my house and of course after 8 seconds the camera cut out and I simply got the approaching shot!

It seems to be quite random.

Any ideas how I can ensure it doesn’t occur again at a critical moment?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 8:22 AM

12 replies

Sep 9, 2022 2:05 AM in response to FilRmonic

You are all convincing me that the card is really too slow.

If you look at the bottom left in the box entitled "4K" you will see a tiny asterisk and on the back of the package is a small note saying, "4K video recording operation may vary depending on the devices you use . . . "

I believe my FZ300 is around 96MB/s whereas certain Lumix dedicated camcorders shoot 4K at around 45MB/s.

Sep 8, 2022 9:28 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I suspected it might be something like that but it has only ever failed that way with the first clip I have started shooting, so I am nowhere near any 2GB limit.

It occurred when I first got the camera and tried to shoot a 4K clip on a new card.

The SD card warning came up and I mistakenly assumed I had accidentally bought a slow card . . . until I pressed the record button again and everything worked perfectly.

I suppose a workaround might be to start shooting long before I need to or shoot a dummy clip first but it's hardly ideal.

Sep 9, 2022 1:26 AM in response to Alchroma

Yes, it is supposed to be though it is at the lower end of the recommended speed range.

As I wrote that first sentence another idea popped up . . . I believe the camera records VBR and the panning shot of the aeroplane was surrounded by trees and bushes with countless leaves and small details.

Quite possibly the complexity of the image was similar to filming snow and confetti causing the bit rate to increase beyond the capability of the card!

On the other hand, when it first occurred when the camera and card were new, the scene was a simple static one with the camera on a tripod.

You are probably correct in implying that the card is borderline.

4K still camera recording stops occasionally after about 8 seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.