Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two factor authentication for multi Apple products

I have a older Iphone 8 without the two factor authentication and I am hoping to get a new Iphone at some point. Will I be forced to upgrade to two factor authentication on my new Iphone or can I keep not using the two factor authentication on my new Iphone. If I am forced to upgrade to two factor authentication on my potential new Iphone can I keep my older Iphone without the two factor authentication?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 5:06 PM

Rodimusprime1313 wrote:

Ok that answers one question that it will upgrade across all apple products. At the same time will any new iphone that I now purchase and activate need the two factor authentication or not?

Nope.

Two-factor authentication is associated with an Apple ID, and not with a device such as an iPhone.

Some features and services can require two-factor, such as theft and loss coverage. If you choose to acquire those, then two-factor will need be enabled on the Apple ID, and which means it will be enabled on all associated devices including on that iPhone 8. (That iPhone 8 fully supports two-factor, and has for many years, too.)

But if you don’t want or don‘t buy those services, you ccan continue to run your new iPhone and your Apple ID with lower security; without two-factor enabled.

I would strongly encourage all reading here to add or review trusted telephone numbers and preferred account recovery contacts, as those details can be central to recovering access to a breached Apple ID. same for adding a legacy contact, as appropriate. Those and other settings are associated with your Apple ID. For that, see: https://appleid.apple.com

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2022 5:06 PM in response to Rodimusprime1313

Rodimusprime1313 wrote:

Ok that answers one question that it will upgrade across all apple products. At the same time will any new iphone that I now purchase and activate need the two factor authentication or not?

Nope.

Two-factor authentication is associated with an Apple ID, and not with a device such as an iPhone.

Some features and services can require two-factor, such as theft and loss coverage. If you choose to acquire those, then two-factor will need be enabled on the Apple ID, and which means it will be enabled on all associated devices including on that iPhone 8. (That iPhone 8 fully supports two-factor, and has for many years, too.)

But if you don’t want or don‘t buy those services, you ccan continue to run your new iPhone and your Apple ID with lower security; without two-factor enabled.

I would strongly encourage all reading here to add or review trusted telephone numbers and preferred account recovery contacts, as those details can be central to recovering access to a breached Apple ID. same for adding a legacy contact, as appropriate. Those and other settings are associated with your Apple ID. For that, see: https://appleid.apple.com

Sep 8, 2022 6:29 PM in response to Rodimusprime1313

Rodimusprime1313 wrote:

So I basically I am never forced to add 2 factor to my existing or any future phone, largely loosing out on the extra features, but once two factor is enabled on any apple account it becomes permanent with do way to remove it, ever.

I’ve been using two-factor authentication since shortly after its release, and basically haven’t noticed it.

When doing something from a new device, or sometimes after a big device update, or when making changes to the Apple ID with major effects, I’ll get a prompt.

Probably a couple of times a month will I see a two-factor prompt.

I do have trusted numbers and trusted devices set, and account recovery contacts where appropriate, as should all. In this case, the iPhone 8 and the iPhone 14 can both be trusted, so even if you should lose one, you can maintain access. So can a Mac.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

You can turn off two-factor within two weeks of enabling it. After that, it’s locked on.

And you can continue as you are, barring a need for some feature that requires two-factor.

Sep 8, 2022 3:00 PM in response to Rodimusprime1313

iPhone 8 fully supports two-factor authentication.

Two-factor is associated with an Apple ID, and not a device.

Two-factor is intended to prevent catastrophic loss of control of an Apple ID.

Which can include data loss, deletion of iCloud backups, and remote device erasure, and device locking.

But if you do want to, sure, you can leave two-factor off.

Two factor authentication for multi Apple products

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.