Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 16" Macbook Pro Potential GPU Failure?

Hello!

This morning, my display suddenly started artifacting, as shown by the attached picture. The screen was not changing, it just suddenly switched to the screen in the photo. I was not doing anything graphically intensive, and I found this quite strange and it gave me flashbacks to my old 2011 15" pro. Is this anything to be worried about, or it is just a driver issue or something software related?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 10:21 AM

avanbrum wrote:

Hello!

This morning, my display suddenly started artifacting, as shown by the attached picture. The screen was not changing, it just suddenly switched to the screen in the photo. I was not doing anything graphically intensive, and I found this quite strange and it gave me flashbacks to my old 2011 15" pro. Is this anything to be worried about, or it is just a driver issue or something software related?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e24bc98c-2589-46bd-b8fe-c247c0dc0ab1

Looks to be GPU or a RAM issue— either way hardware.

I would start here— Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2022 10:21 AM in response to avanbrum

avanbrum wrote:

Hello!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/e24bc98c-2589-46bd-b8fe-c247c0dc0ab1

Looks to be GPU or a RAM issue— either way hardware.

I would start here— Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost. Mac Repair Service Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

2019 16" Macbook Pro Potential GPU Failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.