Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83) Crash very often ?

Hi All,

I upgraded my macBook Air M2 to the latest macOS Monterey version 12.5.1 (21G83). This also applies to my Intel MacBook Pro 2017 15" version. After the upgrade, sometimes it took quite a while to shutdown and when you boot the machine next time. It will tell u there is some problem with your machine that need to be shutdown. Just wondering do u guys face the same issue? Is this a known issue or just happen to me?

Thanks

Alvin

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 8:28 AM

8 replies

Sep 10, 2022 8:38 AM in response to alvintai

No , on two Apple Silicon Apple Computer running Monterey 12.5.1

Question - was Setup Assist used on the New M2 Machine and used the Intel Machine as the Source ?

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having a semi - actual On-Hand experience on this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Sep 11, 2022 7:04 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi P. Phillips,

Thanks for the reply ... I have tried a few suggestion from you and here are the findings.

• This is a brand new Macbook Air M2 here with me ... barely like 1 week old
  • I have tried create another dummy account and it is the same, it hangs when i tried shutting down.
  • I think i will work with Apple Support for now since it is a brand new computer i have here.

Thanks

Alvin

Sep 17, 2022 8:09 AM in response to PRP_53

Hi Philip,

The hanging issue when shutting my mac came back and this time round, i wipe out my disk clean and install everything from scratch. Everytime when I install some stuff, i restart my machine and guess what, i found the culprit. It is my company profile and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Only after I install these stuff then I face this issue. [angry face]

Thanks

Alvin

Sep 20, 2022 1:45 AM in response to alvintai

alvintai wrote:

Hi Philip,

The hanging issue when shutting my mac came back and this time round, i wipe out my disk clean and install everything from scratch. Everytime when I install some stuff, i restart my machine and guess what, i found the culprit. It is my company profile and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Only after I install these stuff then I face this issue. [angry face]

Thanks
Alvin

Then, in reality, as this is a Company Profiled computer - the user should be in Directly Communications with the IT Departments of said Company.

Especially of the computer has been enrolled in a Mobile Digital Managements Service ( MDM ) as they Control what software and can be installed or Must be Installed on this computer.

There is very little we can do about this computer issues wth this new important and now revealed added information ( MDM )

MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83) Crash very often ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.