Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Splitting up albums

Hi there,

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered, but I can’t for the life of me find it. I’m not even sure what to type to search!

For years - Apple Music (and iTunes before it) will do this thing where if I save an entire album to my library and that album has a song or multiple songs on another album (say a greatest hits compilation) after some time, Apple Music will split the one album I saved into two albums - (1) the original album I saved which now only contains the songs from the album that are NOT on a compilation and (2) a second album (the compilation album) with only those songs on the original album that are also contained on the comp.

I’ll give an example: I saved John Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” to my library. Several weeks go by and I try to listen to the entire album. However when I click on Giant Steps only three of the tracks are there. The other four tracks from that album are now under a new album “Trane: The Atlantic Collection”.

This has happened on all of my various iPods, iPhones, iPads, my MacBook Air, and on various PCs I’ve have throughout the years. I’m an ardent supporter of Apple but this drives me nuts!

Please help!!

Thanks,

Dan

iPhone 13

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 12:23 PM

Hello el_mustango.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Sounds like you're experiecning issues with specific music albums splitting. If so, we'd like to recommend some steps you can. First, make sure that your device is fully updated. If you're using an iPhone follow these steps here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1.) Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2.) Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3.) Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4.) If you see two software update options available, choose the one that you want to install.
5.) Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

If you're already fully updated, try deleting the affected albums and redownload them to your device. If they continue to split after redownloading them, you can try to delete the Music app and reinstall it. Keep in mind that this step will remove songs you've downloaded for offline use:

1.) Delete Music app: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2.) Reinstall the app: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

If these steps don't resolve your issue, you might want to reach out to Apple Support for additional assistance. Just in case, you can use the following link to reach them: Get Support - Apple

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 12:23 PM in response to el_mustango

Hello el_mustango.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Sounds like you're experiecning issues with specific music albums splitting. If so, we'd like to recommend some steps you can. First, make sure that your device is fully updated. If you're using an iPhone follow these steps here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

1.) Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2.) Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3.) Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4.) If you see two software update options available, choose the one that you want to install.
5.) Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

If you're already fully updated, try deleting the affected albums and redownload them to your device. If they continue to split after redownloading them, you can try to delete the Music app and reinstall it. Keep in mind that this step will remove songs you've downloaded for offline use:

1.) Delete Music app: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2.) Reinstall the app: Redownload apps and games from Apple - Apple Support

If these steps don't resolve your issue, you might want to reach out to Apple Support for additional assistance. Just in case, you can use the following link to reach them: Get Support - Apple

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

Apple Music Splitting up albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.