Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Language of MacBook if keyboard chosen is different

I have an intention to purchase a MacBook but I am also learning Japanese along the way and was thinking if selecting the keyboard language to be Japanese would change the default language that the MacBook came with. Meaning instead of (Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English) I choose (Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - Japanese), what language will the MacBook come in?

I am from Singapore so it should be in English but if everything turns up in Japanese together with the keyboard I would die as I don’t understand a lot of the language yet.

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 6:26 PM

When you first fire up a new Mac, you get to choose the language you want from the 30+ which are supported. You would just choose English.

If you want you can set up a second user account in Japanese too, or switch between English and Japanese in a few seconds by changing preference settings.

To see the Japanese keyboard, see

Apple Hardware Keyboards for Non-Latin Sc… - Apple Community

For info on Japanese input, see

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2022 6:26 PM in response to eleyya

When you first fire up a new Mac, you get to choose the language you want from the 30+ which are supported. You would just choose English.

If you want you can set up a second user account in Japanese too, or switch between English and Japanese in a few seconds by changing preference settings.

To see the Japanese keyboard, see

Apple Hardware Keyboards for Non-Latin Sc… - Apple Community

For info on Japanese input, see

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Language of MacBook if keyboard chosen is different

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.