Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly all of my photos before Jan 1 2022 are gone. What gives?

Suddenly all of my photos in iCloud taken prior to Jan 1 2022 have disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else? Who do i even contact to complain about this? No I didn’t delete them, no I didn’t hide them. Years and years of photos just stopped being there.

Posted on Sep 10, 2022 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 7:07 PM

Hi QHudspeth

Welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself.

Commiserations on the disappearance of those photos!

Wondering if they are still safely on your device, or whether you have a back-up to restore them from.

Re: What gives?

Could be any one of various reasons ...

(also, we don't know which Mac model, or Device you are using, or which MacOS or iOS version. you are using.)

You might want to check that your iCloud is not short on storage space for your photos:

How to: Check your iCloud storage online or on any device – Apple Support

How to Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Your iCloud storage and your device storage are quite separate.

As device(s) and iCloud are in sync, both need enough storage space for everything you want to keep in sync.

(ie: I know you didn't delete photos, yet deleting on one, deletes on the other).

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

Seems so. Apple Support have an article online to help with "missing" photos.

Eg: You may be able to recover photos from the "Recently Deleted" folder for up to 30 days:

If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

or

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

______________________________________________________________________-

Re: Who do i even contact to complain about this?

If you weren't able to recover your photos:

You might want to reach out to the Photos Support Team (eg: for helpful advice).

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), on the Photos Support website (link below)

Photos - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 7:07 PM in response to QHudspeth

Hi QHudspeth

Welcome to the Apple Community.

We are all Apple users, like yourself.

Commiserations on the disappearance of those photos!

Wondering if they are still safely on your device, or whether you have a back-up to restore them from.

Re: What gives?

Could be any one of various reasons ...

(also, we don't know which Mac model, or Device you are using, or which MacOS or iOS version. you are using.)

You might want to check that your iCloud is not short on storage space for your photos:

How to: Check your iCloud storage online or on any device – Apple Support

How to Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Your iCloud storage and your device storage are quite separate.

As device(s) and iCloud are in sync, both need enough storage space for everything you want to keep in sync.

(ie: I know you didn't delete photos, yet deleting on one, deletes on the other).

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Re: Has this happened to anyone else?

Seems so. Apple Support have an article online to help with "missing" photos.

Eg: You may be able to recover photos from the "Recently Deleted" folder for up to 30 days:

If you're missing photos or videos in the Photos app - Apple Support

or

Get help with iCloud Photos - Apple Support

______________________________________________________________________-

Re: Who do i even contact to complain about this?

If you weren't able to recover your photos:

You might want to reach out to the Photos Support Team (eg: for helpful advice).

There is a "Get Support" link (at the very bottom), on the Photos Support website (link below)

Photos - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Sep 11, 2022 10:17 PM in response to QHudspeth

Have the photos only disappeared from your iPhone, or are they also missing from iCloud?

Have you checked your Photos Library in a web browser on the web page www.icloud.com ? Open this web page on a computer (you need the Desktop view of the page, not the mobile view), then sign in with your iCloud Apple ID and open the Photos.app there. Are the photos still there?

Suddenly all of my photos before Jan 1 2022 are gone. What gives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.