Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine stopped displaying backups

My Time Machine (TM) stopped displaying backups (except for the Mac HD) that it had done after I installed Monterey. Anybody had this problem and found a solution?

Mac mini (Intel i7) with Monterey 12.5.1 installed. QuadX external enclosure (thunderbolt) with 4-drives installed. I can see/use the drives from my Mac desktop.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 7:34 AM

pughimag2 wrote:

My Time Machine (TM) stopped displaying backups (except for the Mac HD) that it had done after I installed Monterey. Anybody had this problem and found a solution?

Mac mini (Intel i7) with Monterey 12.5.1 installed. QuadX external enclosure (thunderbolt) with 4-drives installed. I can see/use the drives from my Mac desktop.

You can always try a different external drive set up for your TM and compare your results.

If holding the Option key and clicking open TM>Browse Other Backup Disks shows no other, you can start over

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 7:34 AM in response to pughimag2

pughimag2 wrote:

You can always try a different external drive set up for your TM and compare your results.

If holding the Option key and clicking open TM>Browse Other Backup Disks shows no other, you can start over

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Sep 11, 2022 11:39 AM in response to pughimag2

Try the following:

1 - go into Time Machine preferences and add all of your external HDs to the exclude list. Reboot your Mac, go back to the TM preferences and remove the drives from the excluded lists. Then try make a backup.

2 - boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and try making a backup from there. Then reboot normally and try again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Sep 11, 2022 10:34 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your reply. I had already implemented your first suggestion. No change. Your second suggestion sounds good. I was not aware of that option so I will definitely try it. For your 3rd suggestion I have 2 of the three you mentioned TM and Super Duper. I will definitely use iCloud for the third option.

I’ve discovered two things:

1. Backups before Monterey will not work in Monterey
  2. TM uses a different user interface since I last needed it so that threw me.
  3. I erased my TM drive and reformatted, then backed everything up again. That worked.

Thanks again for the feedback. I will get working on an iCloud backup.

Sep 12, 2022 6:45 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your reply.

I’ve discovered two things:

1. Backups made sometime before Monterey will not restore in Monterey. A filetype issue. I didn't go into details.
  2. Todays TM uses a different user interface since I last needed it so that threw me. Now I understand how to use the interface.

So I erased my TM drive after backing up my drives to "Super Duper "and creating a Mac HD clone. I then reformatted TM to APFS, then backed everything up again. That worked. I'm back in business. Thanks.

Thanks again for the feedback. I have about 1.6TB of user data so I may look at another backup up option, offsite preferably.

Time Machine stopped displaying backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.