Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music lossless on windows

About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

"And now, we’re offering Apple Music subscribers the additional option to access our entire catalog encoded using lossless audio compression at no extra cost."

Which is simply a lie !

If an Apple Music subscriber has only a PC with Windows he/she does need to invest to a supported device at extra cost to be able to listen lossless audio. I can't fully utilise my expensive DAC with Apple Music just because it is connected to a PC not to a MAC, while I am still paying the same montly fee...

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 8:31 AM

Yeah, it's a total scam and pretty outrageous they haven't corrected it yet. They'll never get near Spotify's subscriber base if they can't support all major platforms. The fact that I have to use a web page or the terribly outdated iTunes to access it on Windows is a problem, too.

5 replies

Oct 29, 2022 12:34 AM in response to N0VAPSYCH3

I already have a good external DAC for lossless audio, but because iTunes for Windows is capable to receive the audio only in an already lossy format AAC even if I had the most expensive DAC that couldn't help because the sound can't be restored to its orignal lossless quality anymore.

iTunes for Windows needs to be able to receive the stream in ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve the orignal quality, otherwise there is no point having a good external DAC.

Nov 2, 2022 8:00 AM in response to WowParzival

I've actually done this for this specific reason. (Android Subsystem for Windows)

It works well - but, for the true audiophiles out there; 16bit only - as per limitation of the Subsystem.

See here; (4) Sideloaded Apple Music to Subsystem for Android : Windows11 (reddit.com)

It's also mentioned in the thread - also, there is an alternative... Apple Music Electron / Cider.

I might try Cider at some point, but I'm quite happy with this...

Shairport4w download | SourceForge.net

Oct 26, 2022 7:51 AM in response to HareKrisna

Well, I do agree with you that Apple doesn't provide full coverage for Windows users, but there's one thing that you didn't fully understand, and that is lossless, you do need an external amp/DAC for the lossless audio to be able to decompress. Do a little research on lossless, and you'll know what I mean. Also, amp/DAC aren't all expensive, there are a few reputable brands from China with budget-friendly in mind. Try it out, you won't regret venturing your ears to the Hi-Fi system.

Apple music lossless on windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.