Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro 2017 camera doesn't work.

My built-in camera doesn't work. I've tried resetting SMC and even reinstalled MacOS but still doesn't work. On System Reports -> Hardware, it still detects my camera. When opening Photobooth, my camera is on and has its green light, but no image is shown.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 7:18 AM

jordan_maheswara wrote:

Thank you so much! After doing the reset and opening Photobooth, it says "There is no connected camera" with a green flashing lights. Now I know that it's a hardware problem.

Can you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost.  Mac Repair Service  Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2022 7:18 AM in response to jordan_maheswara

jordan_maheswara wrote:

Thank you so much! After doing the reset and opening Photobooth, it says "There is no connected camera" with a green flashing lights. Now I know that it's a hardware problem.

Can you run the user Diagnostic...not as definitive as Apple's own AST2 (Apple Service Toolkit) back bench diagnostic, but may kick out an error code.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Learn how to get your Mac fixed and how much it will cost.  Mac Repair Service  Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Sep 11, 2022 7:04 AM in response to jordan_maheswara

jordan_maheswara wrote:

My built-in camera doesn't work. I've tried resetting SMC and even reinstalled MacOS but still doesn't work. On System Reports -> Hardware, it still detects my camera. When opening Photobooth, my camera is on and has its green light, but no image is shown.

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

(get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

My MacBook Pro 2017 camera doesn't work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.