Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locked disk

I’m trying to reinstall my MacBook Pro os but when I get to the page that requires me to choose a disk to reinstall the os on it says that the disk is lock. Any tips on how to unlock my disk so I can reinstall the os

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 8:31 PM

I'm assuming you are trying to reinstall macOS to the internal drive. Are you trying to reinstall macOS over top of itself or perform a clean install?

If you are trying reinstall macOS over top of itself, are you installing the same OS or newer? Or are you attempting to install an older OS? If an older OS, then you will need to perform a clean install by first erasing the whole physical drive.

If you are trying to perform a clean install, then you will first need to erase the drive before selecting the "Reinstall macOS" option.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

It really helps to know the exact model of the laptop as well current version of macOS installed. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". It also helps to know why you are reinstalling macOS since the reason for the reinstall may be the reason you are having problems with reinstalling macOS. Is Filevault enabled?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 8:31 PM in response to Iamtucker

I'm assuming you are trying to reinstall macOS to the internal drive. Are you trying to reinstall macOS over top of itself or perform a clean install?

If you are trying reinstall macOS over top of itself, are you installing the same OS or newer? Or are you attempting to install an older OS? If an older OS, then you will need to perform a clean install by first erasing the whole physical drive.

If you are trying to perform a clean install, then you will first need to erase the drive before selecting the "Reinstall macOS" option.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

It really helps to know the exact model of the laptop as well current version of macOS installed. You can get this information by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". It also helps to know why you are reinstalling macOS since the reason for the reinstall may be the reason you are having problems with reinstalling macOS. Is Filevault enabled?

Locked disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.