Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving Photos 5.0 onto Lacie (harddrive) to new iMac (Monterey(

Moved Photos 5.0 from 2013 iMac to Lacie external hard drive; new iMac won't read the hard drive photos because "Photos 5.0" are not supported. How can I make the photos on the external hard drive readable by the new iMac, thank you!

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 2:28 PM

Have you copied the app?

The app doesn't contain the photos (and as you have found cant run on a later mac)

You need to transfer the library (called something.photoslibrary - eg "photos library.phtoslibrary") normally stored in your pictures folder.

4 replies

Sep 11, 2022 10:49 PM in response to tAMMYshh

Do you still have the old iMac?

Then open your user home folder. In the sidebar the home folder is marked by a cute little house. Inside the Home folder you will find the Pictures folder. the Pictures folder may have a different name on your Mac, if the system language is not English.

Inside the Pictures folder look for an item with the filename exten .photoslibrary or an icon like a stack of several photos showing the rainbow colored flower.

Or use the Photos.app to find the library. when you laugh photos on the old Mac, open the Photos Preferences. At the top of the "General" photos preferences is a button to reveal the library in the Finder. Transfer this item to your new Mac.

If you have been using iCloud Photos and your photos are still in iCloud you can download them directly from iCloud.

Sep 12, 2022 4:15 AM in response to léonie

Thank you so much for your help! I found the file (I think) via the Finder on the old Mac and have been moving the pictures en masse (I also think) since last night... I really appreciate your help! I hope I don't need to find a way to download the photos from the iCloud to the removable drive, but know the pictures are too large for the new iMac.

moving Photos 5.0 onto Lacie (harddrive) to new iMac (Monterey(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.