Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup iPhone to Macbook without restoring

Hello Everyone, I have been having this issue where whenever I connect my iPhone 12 to my new MacBook Pro M1 (macOS Monterey 12.5.1) in order to back it up, it states the following "The contents of the iPhone “iPhone” could not be read. Click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings." I clearly do not want to reset or restore my iPhone but I want to back it up on my Macbook and it won't allow me! My question is: How can I back up my iPhone 12 to my Macbook Pro (macOS Monterey) *WITHOUT* having to restore my iPhone to factory settings? Thank you and I would appreciate someone helping me!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Sep 11, 2022 2:06 PM in response to shaybaeee

User profile showing iOS 15 and current version. as of Sunday Sept 11, 2022 is version 15.6.1 and may be related to this issue.

Also, refer to below image from System Information Applet >> Installations and does a Device Support Update appear.

The first time the iPhone was cabled to computer it may have offered and update software from Apple.

Backup iPhone to Macbook without restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.