Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apply effect to part of a synchronized clip

Hi!

I created a synchronized clip out of two clips and created a picture in picture for my video. I split the synchronized clip to cut out some content and applied a transition to the cut point. I later realized that I wanted to apply a reduced opacity to the picture in picture video as well as other changes to the background clip. I viewed both original clips in the timeline and applied the opacity reduction however it appears to only be applied to the first part of the split clip. The next part (after the cut point) lacks the modifications made to it. When I arrange to have the timeline show the individual clips, I can't modify the second part of the clip. Everything after the cut is sort of greyed out.

How can I modify the individual clips in the synced clip after this cut point?

Thank you in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 11, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 7:45 AM

To be able to simply control the clips with opacity, effects, position, whatever, it's best to use two separate clips. Either the originals sync manually in a project, or two sync/multicam clips one on top of other lined up in the timeline. That way you can manipulate them independently.

Now you have to edit each clip separately. Do the first one and then copy the clip. Go back to the project, go to the second clip and open it. Select the PIP and paste attributes for opacity. Repeat as many times as you need to.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2022 7:45 AM in response to Str][ker

To be able to simply control the clips with opacity, effects, position, whatever, it's best to use two separate clips. Either the originals sync manually in a project, or two sync/multicam clips one on top of other lined up in the timeline. That way you can manipulate them independently.

Now you have to edit each clip separately. Do the first one and then copy the clip. Go back to the project, go to the second clip and open it. Select the PIP and paste attributes for opacity. Repeat as many times as you need to.

Sep 12, 2022 6:26 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm setting the opacity in the inspector for the individual clip from the sync clip (when I expand it in the timeline to show both clips). It's a multicam clip which I synced so I can do a picture in picture. I have the clips synced so that's all good. I guess I should have set the opacity before I made any other edits to the timeline (like before splitting the clips). One image provided shows the two separate clips. The white line is where they are split and you can see the right side is subdued with hash lines in it. The opacity is fine here across the whole clip when I scrub back and forth. The second screenshot shows the synced clip with the fade to color in the middle where I removed some footage. Playback has the correct opacity before the edit point but is back to full opacity after. I need to be able to modify the clip in the separate timeline clips but can't select the hashed clips. I am sure I am missing something basic here.

Sep 11, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Str][ker

Please post some screenshots of your project timeline, and also of the sync clip in the timeline. Where are you reducing the opacity exactly?

If you need to sync two video clips and can't simply do it with the two clips in the project, then it's normally done with a multicam clip. The multicam is used twice, once in the primary storyline, and the other connected to the storyline for the PIP.

Sep 12, 2022 1:24 AM in response to Str][ker

As Tom said, the standard way is to use a multicam clip, but in any case, multicam or synchronized clip, you’d want to make those adjustments inside that clip itself. For a multicam, double click it in the browser to open the Angle Editor.

For the synchronized clip, double click to open it in its own timeline (or do Clip ->Open Clip). I believe that is how you scaled to make the picture jn picture, right?

Sep 12, 2022 6:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I needed to have the clips synchronized which is why I used the synchronized clip. For a PiP do you suggest using a multicam clip instead? I guess I am not sure what the differences are between the two. I assumed that since I needed the videos synchronized, that I should use that type of clip. So I can create a PiP using the multi-cam clip instead I am guessing from your response. Is there a reason why this approach is better? Does it avoid headaches such as what I ran into?

Sep 12, 2022 6:40 AM in response to Str][ker

The part that has diagonal lines is the part that is not in use in the current instance of the sync clip that you just opened.

You can easily check that by double-clicking on the left side, and then on the right side of the edit point.

One will show the diagonal lines on the right, the other on the left.

Do this: delete the edit point; confirm that the changes to opacity etc are as you want; command-B to blade again, and re-add the transition. Done.

Sep 12, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yeah I did see that after double clicking. I guess there is no other way other than undoing the blade and removal of the content I wanted removed and then go through and redo all of the other edits. I was hoping that there was some simple way to resolve this. I guess the lesson is.. make all changes you want to the individual clips of the synchronized clip and then make content edits to the synchronized clip. It seems like kind of a flaw in the workflow because if you perform work on the synchronized clip and then suddenly have an idea to make a change to one of the component clips, you may be out of luck and have to undo all of the work done to that synchronized clip (as was my case).

Apply effect to part of a synchronized clip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.